Looking for a new career?
Want the opportunity to earn whilst you learn?
Ever considered a career in rail?
The Public Transport Authority’s (PTA) vision is to be recognised as a leader in providing world-class public transport services and solutions. As a fast growing economy, Western Australia’s public transport system is recognised as the best in Australia and is one of the most efficient, clean and safe networks in the world. Rail transport is vital for our continued success and growth through our many projects including METRONET to meet the public’s needs and expectations. Moving millions of people needs the skill and commitment of a talented workforce.
About this opportunity
The PTA’s Rail Systems Development Program (RSDP) provides the opportunity to develop the skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake critical rail infrastructure roles at the PTA.
We currently have a number of full-time Apprentice Signals Technician opportunities available on our Rail Systems Development Program. Over the course of the RSDP, you will work on various signalling systems across our Perth metropolitan rail network whilst also undertaking on-the-job and off-the-job training. Upon successful completion of the Program, apprentices receive a nationally recognised trade qualification (Certificate III Electrical Fitting / and an Electrical Licence – Electrical Fitting Work Only) and may be eligible for fixed term or permanent Trainee Signal Technician opportunities with the PTA.
This is a pool recruitment process where suitable applicants will be placed in a pool from which appointments will be made within the next six (6) months. Offers may be made on a fixed term basis for a period of four years with possible extension and/or permanency.
A new program intake will commence in September 2022
What do I need to become an Apprentice Signals Technician?
This is a great opportunity for people interested in starting a career in the rail industry. As an Apprentice Signals Technician, you will:
- Be a good team player with good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Have a demonstrated commitment to safety and a strong desire to learn;
- Possess sound numeracy and literacy skills and an ability to use hand and power tools, machinery and equipment;
- Hold a current unrestricted Western Australian ‘C’ Class Driver’s licence; and
- Have successfully completed a minimum of Year 10 or equivalent.
- Be willing to work irregular hours including shift work and weekends from time to time; and
- Be comfortable working at heights and within confined spaces.
Please refer to the attached Job Description Form and Job Information Package for further details about the selection criteria associated with this opportunity.
As part of the selection process, you:
- Must be prepared to undertake aptitude testing, provide a national police clearance and complete a pre-employment medical assessment (including drug and alcohol screening);
- Must be available to attend all stages of the recruitment process (including aptitude testing).
- Will be required to produce a copy of your current national police clearance at the time of your interview (or a copy of your receipt as a minimum);
Applicants found suitable through this selection process may also be considered for other similar roles.
Applicants are required to provide evidence of COVID-19 vaccination to be eligible for employment.
Interested and want to know more?
For more information on our organisation, please visit our website www.pta.wa.gov.au.
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Mr. John Walters – Signals Superintendent 9326 2243
How to Apply
To apply for the RSDP:
- Download and complete the attached Application Form and Integrity Check Form.
- Upload your completed Application Form, a current resume including two work-related referees, Integrity Check Form, and evidence of your current unrestricted WA ‘C’ Class Driver’s Licence.
The PTA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages, woman, people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please apply online using the ‘Apply for Job’ button at the top/bottom of the screen. Applicants are encouraged to carefully read the attached Job Application Package as it will assist you in applying for this position.
Please ensure you allow sufficient time to lodge your application as late, pro forma or emailed applications will not be accepted.