Looking for a new career?
Are you a school leaver looking for your first job opportunity?
Ever considered a career in rail?
The Public Transport Authority’s (PTA) vision is to be recognised as a leader in providing world-class public transport services and solutions. As a fast growing economy, Western Australia’s public transport system is recognised as the best in Australia and is one of the most efficient, clean and safe networks in the world. Rail transport is vital for our continued success and growth through our many projects including METRONET to meet the public’s needs and expectations. Moving millions of people needs the skill and commitment of a talented workforce.
The PTA is recruiting for a pool of Trainee Communications Maintainers who are responsible for maintenance of communications system infrastructure. The level 2 Trainee Communications Maintainers are responsible for assisting in carrying out the safe, efficient and effective first line maintenance of communication system infrastructure.
In this role you will have access to a structured training and development program for the attainment of relevant competencies, providing you with an opportunity to progress to Communications Maintainer roles at Level 3 and 4 (see Information sheet attached).
To be considered for one of these roles you will possess:
- good literacy and numeracy skills;
- a sound mechanical aptitude with the ability to use relevant hand and power tools, machinery and equipment;
- satisfactory communication skills; and
- computer literacy.
This role requires the ability to work at moderate heights and in confined spaces. There is also a requirement to work unsocial and irregular work hours, including Saturdays, Sundays and nights when required.
Please note that aptitude/ability tests (technical skills) are required as part of this selection process.
It is envisaged that shortlisting of applicants to go through to the next stage of the process will occur by the end of May 2021, and further assessments will occur in early June 2021.
There is currently one permanent opportunity available for filling.
Suitable applicants will be placed in a pool for 12 months from which permanent and fixed term appointments with the possibility of extensions may be made.
Please refer to the attached Job Description Form (JDF) for full details about the position, including any special requirements relevant to appointment.
Please contact Mr. Philippe Allen, Technical Officer Security Systems on 0457 879 429 for specific information about the role.
For more information about the PTA, please visit www.pta.wa.gov.au.
For more information on METRONET, please visit www.metronet.wa.gov.au
How to Apply
Applicants are requested to provide the following:
- A current CV with two work related referees;
- A covering letter addressing the following five points;
- Please tell us about your work experience up until now.
- What motivated you to apply for this opportunity?
- What skills, qualities and experience do you have that will benefit you as a Trainee Communications Maintainer?
- Please give an example of something you have done that demonstrates your willingness to learn.
- Please describe a situation that demonstrates your commitment to safety.
- A completed Integrity and Qualification Consent Form (attached) as all PTA positions are subject to ongoing integrity screening.
Applicants are requested to apply online using the ‘Apply for Job’ button at the top/bottom of the screen. Please note the closing date and time, as no emailed, late or pro forma applications will be accepted.