Are you interested in working at the leading edge of chemical research and innovation, assisting Government and industry to manage chemistry-related risks and assisting WA businesses to maintain market advantage through science?
If you are motivated to keep WA safe and prosperous, this may be the job for you.
We are seeking a science professional to lead and manage the Inorganic Chemistry Section within ChemCentre’s Scientific Services Division. In this key role, you will provide strategic and operational leadership, governance and direction to a team of high performing, dedicated scientists and technicians.
ChemCentre’s Inorganic Chemistry Section undertakes inorganic chemistry related fee for service (commercial) chemical analyses, problem solving and investigative and collaborative research.
Working closely with the Director, you will support and foster a culture of innovation and effectively deliver high-quality science to the State and our commercial clients.
This is a 2 year fixed term full-time contract, with the possibility of further terms and/or permanency. Suitable applicants may be considered for like positions within 6 months from the date of the finalisation process.
For further key responsibilities, please see the attached Job Description Form (JDF).
What we are looking for.
The successful applicant will possess strategic leadership and management skills, a proven ability to motivate and influence people and be able to demonstrate good business acumen.
Working closely with the Director, you will have the ability to effectively manage strategic partnerships, collaborative working relationships and communication networks with current and potential customers, internal and external stakeholders and agencies.
Substantial experience leading and managing a broad analytical laboratory service and maintaining product/service delivery, in the context of inorganic chemistry, is an essential requirement of the role.
For the role specific criteria, please see the attached JDF.
ChemCentre is Western Australia’s leading provider of chemistry and forensic science services. We provide a comprehensive range of scientific services, working with a wide range of clients including Government Agencies, universities, industry and the general public. Through the provision of chemical information, advice and analytical services, ChemCentre mitigates risk to government, protects the community and the environment and supports sustainable development.
For more information about ChemCentre, please visit our website.
Want more information?
For a confidential discussion about the role specific details of this position, please contact Nigel West, Director Scientific Services Division, on (08) 9422 9936, during normal business hours.
For questions regarding submitting your application, please contact HR on (08) 9422 9808.
How to apply.
To apply for this vacancy, applicants are required to click the “Apply for Job” button, complete the online application and questions form, then submit the following:
- Comprehensive CV (5 pages in total) including details of 2 referees,
- Evidence of your relevant science degree, and
- A written statement (3 pages in total) demonstrating your ability to meet the following role specific criteria, as detailed in the attached JDF and in the context of the advert:
- Essential Criteria 2: Substantial demonstrated experience leading and managing an analytical laboratory service and maintaining product/service delivery.
- Essential Criteria 3: Highly developed ability to build and maintain effective relationships, collaborative partnerships and implement communication strategies with customers and stakeholders.
- Essential Criteria 5: Demonstrated strategic leadership and management skills with the ability to motivate and influence people.
The remaining essential criteria will be assessed at a later stage of this recruitment and selection process.
Interviews are scheduled to take place during the week commencing 6 April 2021.
Subject to appointment, the successful applicant will require:
- Immunity to Hepatitis B (evidenced by a serology report),
- A satisfactory National Police Clearance (less than 3 month old)
- Australian Citizenship or Permanent Residency/valid work visa,
- A satisfactory drug and alcohol Fit for Work test (completed prior to commencement).
A DNA sample may be required for our staff DNA elimination database for identified positions. A baseline health check may be required for identified positions.
To be eligible for a permanent appointment to the Western Australian public sector you must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia. To be eligible for a fixed term appointment you must have documentary evidence of your entitlement to live and work in Australia for the period of the contract and this is required as part of your application.
Equality and Diversity Statement
ChemCentre is committed to attracting and retaining a culturally diverse workforce. We encourage Indigenous Australians, women, youth, people from culturally diverse backgrounds and people with disabilities to apply.
CLOSING DATE: Monday, 22 March 2021 at 12.00 noon WST
Late applications will not be accepted.