Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS846156
This is a permanent part-time (0.8FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2024
Kalamunda Primary Education Support Centre (KP ESC) is seeking to appoint a dedicated Speech and Language Specialist to join their friendly team.
At KP ESC we share our site with Kalamunda Primary School and are surrounded by magnificent nature play spaces and bush land. We are a growing school for students with disabilities. Initially, our Centre was established in 1985 as a school for children with an Intellectual Disability. Today, our enrolment still includes those students, but also encompasses (but not limited to) students with Autism, Global delays and physical disabilities.
The Speech and Language Specialist develops and supports the implementation of specialised language programs for students with speech and language difficulties providing negotiated direct and indirect services within a Tiers of Intervention model.
As a Speech and Language Specialist you would plan and implement professional development, training and assistance for teachers, support staff and parents. You would also provide specialist information, assessment data and outcomes to teachers, education assistants, parents and other professionals in relation to speech, language and literacy impairments.
We are actively seeking a Speech and Language Specialist, ideally with a strong background in working with students with disabilities and complex language difficulties. The ideal candidate should possess the ability to collaborate effectively within a team.
We are looking for an individual with a proven track record in whole-school operational planning and expertise in identifying the independent and functional skills necessary for students to thrive as they transition into adulthood.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience in developing speech and language/literacy policy and programs and knowledge of latest trends and research in speech and language development.
- Ability to develop, implement, and review speech and language/literacy programs.
- Ability to provide specialised speech and language services and support to students with speech and language impairments.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, including the demonstrated ability to prepare reports and prepare and deliver professional development programs.
- Ability to monitor and evaluate language impaired students’ progress both individually and in the context of language/literacy programs.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills that demonstrate an ability to function in a self-directed way, and as a member of an interdisciplinary team in an educational and/or community setting.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Kalamunda Primary Education Support Centre can be found by visiting www.kalamundapescu.wa.edu.au or Schools Online or by downloading the relevant attachment below.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
Please contact Jarna Wright, Principal by telephoning (08) 9257 4750 or emailing Jarna.Wright@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Jarna Wright on 0457 05 1971.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- hold a Tertiary qualification of Bachelor of Speech Pathology or equivalent, and eligibility for membership of the Speech Pathology Association of Australia
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 9 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.