Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS748737
This is a permanent part-time (0.63FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2022
Do you have a green thumb?
Menzies Community School is seeking a dedicated and hardworking individual to join their friendly team in the role of Gardener - Handyperson.
The successful applicant will be required to perform basic Gardener - Handyperson duties and maintain and present the school grounds, gardens and sporting areas in a clean and tidy condition, providing a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. You will maintain tools and horticultural equipment in a serviceable condition and perform minor repairs and maintenance in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. You will also monitor and maintain the reticulation systems and the formal and informal sports grounds.
The successful applicant will ideally possess good interpersonal skills, along with the ability to receive and carry out instructions as required. You will perform tasks and duties using safe work practices and maintain accurate gardening records.
Menzies Community School caters for students from Kindergarten to Year 12. Approximately 110 people live in township of Menzies and in recent times the school's student enrolment has ranged between 15 to 20 students who are predominantly of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, from a diversity of language groups.
Menzies is situated 130 km north of Kalgoorlie-Boulder. Serving a mining, pastoral and local Aboriginal community, Menzies is the home of the Wangkatja people who maintain strong family links to the town and surrounding country. Menzies is also a popular tourist destination with nearby Lake Ballard attracting a range of visitors.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Menzies Community School please visit Schools Online.
For further job-related information:
You are encouraged to contact Megan Irving, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Menzies, by telephoning (08) 9024 2049 or emailing email@example.com.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current Line Manager; and
- A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please provide one example from your past experience that best shows your knowledge, skills and abilities in gardening. Include the:
- steps you took to complete the task
- machinery and equipment used; and
- action taken to maintain your safety and the safety of others.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au).
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 24 May 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.