Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA848658
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024
Ballajura Community College (BCC) is seeking to appoint an experienced and vibrant Head of Department - Mathematics (HOD) to join our dedicated leadership team.
The successful applicant will ideally be an excellent classroom practitioner and able to motivate staff to implement current research in support of students' learning needs in Mathematics. The Head of Department for Mathematics will also lead the implementation of an innovative, dynamic curriculum both in and beyond the classroom, ideally producing high levels of engagement and outcomes for all BCC students.
As the HOD - Mathematics, you should lead your staff to develop and deliver quality teaching, learning and assessment programs in line with the Western Australian Mathematics Curriculum, and be an active member of the school's leadership team. You will ideally reflect and assess the effectiveness of teaching practice, promote an environment of active and positive learning, and provide educational opportunities and activities which enable students to achieve their highest potential. With effective interpersonal skills, you will work closely with students, colleagues, and the community to achieve the best educational outcomes for all BCC students.
Ideally, the successful applicant should have a demonstrated capacity and willingness to teach Mathematics Methods and Specialist, as well as an expectation to actively engage with whole-school priorities, including numeracy and ICT, beyond the classroom.
BCC is an inclusive and comprehensive secondary school with 1060 students, successfully catering to the academic, social, and emotional development of students with diverse educational needs, including those with special needs. We offer approved specialist programs in ACE Advanced Curriculum Enrichment, as well as Excellence programs in music and basketball. BCC has a strong focus on ATAR pathways in Year 11/12 as well as Vocational Education and Training through BCC's RTO status. BCC prides itself on an ethos that all students should be successful.
As a member of the school leadership team, the successful candidate will play a key role in ensuring that BCC's school values of Respect, Equity, Achievement, Care, and Health are reflected and underpin all actions.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings.
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes.
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Ballajura Community College can be found by visiting bcc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Kasun Tennakoon, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9262 7777 or emailing Kasun.Tennakoon@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Kasun Tennakoon on 0466 150 508.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 16 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED