Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS846571
Esperance Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2024.
About the Role
Suitable applicants will assist teaching staff in the delivery of planned education programs and in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment. You will also provide feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to student progress. The ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students is desired
Suitable applicants will ideally possess strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills which will be used to develop and promote the school’s values, ethos and priorities across the school community. You will ideally be compassionate and able to work collaboratively to implement documented plans.
Suitable applicants should possess the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with staff, students and teachers. You should also have a strong knowledge of a range of evidence-based techniques for learning and behaviour and have some experience or knowledge of disabilities such as Autism Spectrum Disorder.
About the School
Esperance SHS is a school with a strong community that creates opportunities for personal excellence. We live by this vision, ensuring your child reaches their full potential academically, culturally, personally and socially. Catering for students from Years 7 to 12, our school provides strong academic and vocational pathways leading to the attainment of an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR), Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualifications or future employment.
Our broad range of programs will allow your child to achieve their best, regardless of the path they want to pursue. We deliver a range of curriculum subjects and engaging extra-curricular activities to suit a variety of learning needs and interests. This includes opportunities in the Arts, the critical and creative thinking Tournament of Minds international competition, and local and interschool sporting competitions.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Esperance Senior High School can be found by visiting www.esperanceshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Amanda Moeauri, Program Coordinator, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Esperance, by telephoning (08) 9071 9555 or emailing Amanda.Moeauri@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Amanda Moeauri on 0408 566 780.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current department of education criminal record clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current working with children check
- Complete the department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by departmental policy
- Complete the department’s training in accountable and ethical decision-making within 6 months of appointment
- Complete the department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.