Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS830586
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2023.
Do you have a passion for working with young adults in an educational setting?
Lesmurdie Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Education Assistant – Special Needs to join their team.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs you will work with students with various educational needs due to disability, learning and social difficulties, as well as assisting in the differentiation and delivery of planned educational programs.
The successful applicant will ideally have professional knowledge and experience in working with students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), students from backgrounds in which English is an Additional Language (EALD), behaviour and engagement needs, sensory needs, and those requiring mental health support, amongst other special needs.
Set in the beautiful Perth Hills, Lesmurdie SHS was established in 1981 and currently has a growing population of over 1000 students and 100 staff. Rich in community spirit, our school boasts the best of both worlds, a semi-rural location surrounded by bushland, just 30 minutes from the CBD. With leafy, open grounds, and friendly students and staff, we pride ourselves on building positive relationships within our school. We are an inclusive school and embrace our growing diversity. We are proud of the 'Lesmurdie Way' which fosters a feeling of togetherness, caring, and a sense of family Achieving Independent Public School status in 2011, Lesmurdie is a school of choice. This is evident through our strong student enrolments, quality staff, and effective community partnerships.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Lesmurdie Senior High School can be found by visiting lesmurdie.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Bronwyn Thornton, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9291 1200 or emailing email@example.com
During the school holiday period, please contact Bronwyn Thornton, Manager Corporate Services on 0410 689 375
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details, including an email address for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30 pm (WST) on Friday, 28 July 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.