Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS822613
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing ASAP
Do you have a green thumb and enjoy a hands on role?
Southern Cross District High School (DHS) is seeking a reliable and dedicated Gardener – Handyperson to join their school.
Working for the Department of Education can attract the following benefits:
- District Allowance plus other miscellaneous allowances where applicable
For additional information please see relevant Agreement
About the Role
The successful applicant will maintain the school grounds, gardens and sporting areas in a neat and tidy manner. The successful applicant will be reliable, have a proactive approach to tasks and a strong work ethic. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other gardener-handyperson duties as required. Good interpersonal skills are necessary, along with the ability to receive and carry out instruction are highly desirable.
Southern Cross DHS is a comprehensive and diverse learning community. It is characterized by inclusivity, a commitment to the achievement of potential, respect, and social, civic and environmental responsibility.
The school sees its purpose as the development of students' intellectual, creative, social and physical potential so they can use and adapt their skills and understandings to changing environments and become life-long learners.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
For further information about Southern Cross District High School please visit www.southerncrossdhs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Julie Della Bosca, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Southern Cross, by telephoning (08) 9048 9000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter of no more than four (4) page Please address selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each work related requirement.
You will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- Induction program within three months of commencement
- Introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Training specific to this role required by Departmental policy and;
- Training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:00pm (WST) on Monday, 12 June 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.