Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS810476
Suitable applicants from vacancy IPS/SS748125 need not apply
Aspiri Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year.
As Education Assistants - Special Needs, you will be responsible for assisting teachers with preparing resources and programs that meet the learning needs of students with disabilities and to encourage these students to reach their individual goals. You will provide effective feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of student’s individual goals. As part of your role, you will also be required to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Suitable applicants should be innovative, team players and have well developed behaviour management skills, particularly in dealing with challenging/complex behaviour. Ideally, you will also have high level interpersonal skills in order to be able to work collaboratively with staff members to meet the needs of students.
It is highly desirable that suitable applicants have knowledge and experience with Attention deficit disorder (ADD), Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Trauma Informed Practice.
The focus at our school is upon the 'whole child'. We build positive partnerships with parents and the community while providing a caring, supportive, and mutually respectful learning environment. Our school environment supports each child every day to achieve excellence, their personal best and fulfil their potential.
Aspiri PS is a modern, state-of-the-art facility that incorporates information and communications technology infrastructure that ensures every child has the opportunity to engage with cutting-edge technology that will prepare them for the future. Our carefully selected staff work to achieve the very best a modern education can offer in this progressive age, while reflecting the values and aspirations of our diverse community.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Aspiri Primary School can be found by visiting aspirips.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Jackie Adams, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9397 8300 or emailing Jacqueline.Adams@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 9 June 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.