Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS794184
Halls Head College Education Support Centre (CESC) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year.
Suitable applicants should be dedicated and ideally have experience in working with children with high levels of disabilities, and complex behavioural, medical and social needs. Applicants with knowledge and skills in the use of assistive Information Communication Technology (ICT) and who are confident and innovative in using ICT are encouraged to apply. Suitable applicants will ideally be proactive and display a willingness to learn and continue to develop your knowledge and skills.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs, you would, under general supervision and guidance, perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. You will ideally be able to apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, job learning, or relevant qualification and be committed to working collaboratively with your colleagues, to meet our school’s vision. Our current student cohort comprises almost two thirds male students and an ideal applicant would be experienced and skilled in providing social and physical support and guidance to adolescent male students with disabilities.
At Halls Head CESC, we strongly believe that all students are capable of learning and improving and we seek to support them as they progress through the middle year stages of their learning journey. The school strives for excellence within a highly collaborative and team focussed culture. The Education Support Centre is situated on the campus of Halls Head College. Our students are drawn from the Mandurah area and surrounding suburbs, as well as from town sites as far north as Golden Bay, south to Waroona and east to Pinjarra. The school enrols students from Years 7 to 10, with intellectual disabilities, Autism, or other high level support needs.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Halls Head College Education Support Centre can be found by visiting www.hallsheadesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Candyce Doorn, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9581 0613 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Candyce Doorn on 0401 136 143.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four to five (4 - 5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to five (5) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 06 February 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.