Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS787204
This is a permanent part-time (0.8FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2023
Please note that an amendment to the content of this advertisement has been made as of 2:40pm (WST) Monday, 5 December 2022
Please be aware that as of 3:25pm (WST) on Wednesday, 7 December 2022, the closing date has been extended.
Wanneroo Secondary College (SC) are seeking an enthusiastic Senior Gardener - Handyperson to join their dynamic team.
For the suitable applicant this position has the possibility of becoming full-time.
As a Senior Gardener - Handyperson working knowledge of current Occupational Health and Safety policies is highly regarded to provide students and staff with a safe external environment. Experience in turf management on sporting grounds is also advantageous. You will also ideally have experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks such as those on irrigation systems.
To be successful in this role you will ideally possess knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals, high standard leadership skills in coordinating staff duties, rostered days off (RDOs) and leave in accordance with the Department of Education policies and guidelines.
Wanneroo SC is committed to the education, both academically and socially, of every student who walks through our doors. We consider our staff and students our greatest assets - our teachers are experienced and highly skilled, and our students are friendly, inclusive and always striving for excellence.
The teaching and support staff are highly skilled, motivated and determined to provide the very best educational and personal outcomes for every student. The academic progress and general wellbeing of each student is constantly monitored by the school, providing students with essential social, emotional and academic support and guidance. We offer a safe, caring and nurturing environment where all students are given every opportunity to blossom and to achieve their full potential.
We are extensively involved with the local community through our relationships with the Wanneroo City Council, universities and training organisations, industry groups, the Western Australian Football Commission, and the local branches of Rotary Club and the Army Cadets.
Wanneroo SC is set in native gardens with a rock pool and numerous trees that contribute to a peaceful learning environment. The College is continually upgrading its facilities and equipment.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Please visit wanneroosc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online for more information about Wanneroo SC
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For job related information
Please contact Gail Bennett, Manager Corporate Services by telephoning (08) 6401 9800 or emailing email@example.com
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
- A two to four (2-4) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school
To submit your application:
Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- induction program within three months of commencement
- introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:00pm (WST) on Thursday, 15 December 2022
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS LISTED AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED