Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS722006
Byford Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and enthusiastic Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2022.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs. The suitable applicants will ideally have experience working with students with a variety of needs, including Autism Spectrum Disorder, Intellectual Disability, trauma and anxiety. They should be experienced in supporting the needs of students with self-regulation of behaviour and social and emotional responses. Experience working with students with challenging behaviours is highly desirable.
The suitable applicants should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with teachers to create and maintain a supportive, inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students. An understanding and regular use of safe work practices will be highly regarded. You should be organised and able to use your initiative to assist the teacher with the general care and wellbeing of students and maintenance of the learning environment. You will work either under general supervision or autonomously and contribute advice and expertise, collaborating with school community members to support student achievement. We are seeking applicants who are committed to enhancing students’ learning opportunities using their understanding of differentiation, intervention and engagement strategies to assist students in accessing the curriculum
Byford PS, an independent public school, has a long, proud history. Built in 1921, it has grown to accommodate approximately 360 students and incorporate the Park Road Community Kindergarten. At Byford Primary School, your child will be provided with a safe and enriching learning environment that will inspire them to learn to the best of their ability. We take team approach to teaching with respect and cooperation between teachers, parents and students at the centre of everything we do.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Byford Primary School can be found by visiting www.byfordps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Jody Harrington, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9526 6300 or emailing Jody.Harrington@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Jody Harrington on 0400 000 147.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three to four (3-4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two to three (2-3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 21 January 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.