Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS718794
Mosman Park School for Deaf Children is seeking to establish a pool of enthusiastic Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year.
Mosman Park School for Deaf Children is a dynamic school which caters for the specific needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing children. Our team of experts include Teachers of the Deaf, Auslan Interpreters, Deaf Role Models, Audiologists, School Psychologists, and more. Together they use their expertise to develop a program which addresses the explicit learning needs of each individual student.
Suitable applicants will work alongside Auslan Education Assistants to help deaf students with additional special needs to develop positive social and emotional skills. Suitable applicants should be flexible and able to work collaboratively with a team of teachers and education support staff to support students, the school, and community to ensure high quality bilingual learning programs are provided in an inclusive learning environment. Working closely in a positive, committed team environment with special needs children in individual and small group situations, you will provide positive and engaging opportunities for children to find success and reach their potential.
Suitable applicants will ideally have the ability to show initiative in completing tasks, combined with strong interpersonal skills to both build relationships with students and staff and engage students. Preferably, you will have experience working with special needs children and managing behaviour in a positive way. Applicants with Auslan knowledge are highly desirable. We are a trauma informed school and knowledge of this would also be desirable.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Mosman Park School For Deaf Children can be found by visiting mosmanpkdeafschool.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Monique Smith, Principal, by telephoning (08) 6458 7770 or emailing Monique.Smith@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Monique Smith on 0439 902 080
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 18 January 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.