Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS713689
This is a three (3) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022 with possible extension (12 months) and/or permanency
Como Secondary College (SC) is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and dedicated Education Assistant - Mainstream to join their school.
The successful applicant will assist the teacher in delivering planned education programs and encourage a supportive, caring and inclusive learning environment. You will work under teacher direction, implementing individual and small group educational programs. The successful applicant will be flexible and willing to collaborate and work in teams. You will assist the teacher with the general care and well-being of the students and support the teacher with supervision of the students during class activities and excursions. The successful applicant will ideally possess excellent oral and written skills including the ability to interact with students, parents and teaching professionals.
Como SC is driven by the belief that every student is capable of successful learning. The College is an Independent Public School catering for students from Year 7 to Year 12. Every student matters at Como. We work to build each student's belief in their own capacity to learn and their understanding of the relationship between effort and success. Our aim is to ensure that every student progresses.
Students travel from all over Perth, Western Australia and overseas to access our excellent, affordable educational programs. Rural students who have won a place in the school are able to attend the nearby Rotary Residential College. The school is located less than 6 kilometres from the centre of Perth and is close to major transport hubs. This enables our students to easily access and utilise Perth's major universities, training institutions, cultural attractions and sporting facilities.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Sound oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with students, parents and teaching professionals.
- Sound interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- Sound organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective educational programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Como Secondary College can be found by visiting www.como.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Mileva Tubbs, Program Coordinator, by telephoning (08) 9365 2000 or emailing Mileva.Tubbs@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 3 December 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.