Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE708982
This is a permanent full-time position commencing ASAP
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- 10 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
The Role and our Branch
The Financial Planning and Resourcing Directorate is seeking to recruit a Principal Consultant - School Resourcing in the School Funding branch.
We encourage all applicants with diverse professional experiences to apply.
The School Funding branch is committed to providing effective and trusted business services and support that enhance the capability and responsiveness of staff, systems and processes to deliver high quality education.
All public schools operate with a one-line budget and are funded via the Student-Centred Funding Model (SCFM). The branch is responsible for the ongoing maintenance and refinement of the SCFM to ensure its continued improvement and responsiveness to the evolving resourcing requirements of schools. This includes the delivery of a budget in excess of $3.5 billion to public schools on an annual basis.
This role is tasked with undertaking complex financial modelling and analysis to enable you to make recommendations on the allocation of resources to schools in accordance with the funding allocation mechanism. Working in an innovative environment, your contribution will be instrumental in ensuring the funding model remains contemporary to national and international standards.
In this role, you will utilise your extensive experience to lead and provide contemporary financial management advice and innovative solutions to complex strategic financial issues. You will use highly developed interpersonal and communication skills to lead through change and establish effective networks to work across the organisation to achieve strategic objectives.
The successful applicant will help with evaluating, developing, implementing and reviewing funding related policies, procedures and strategies and participate in the ongoing identification of school funding needs.
This role is an exciting opportunity, suited to a high performing and qualified finance professional from an accounting, finance, actuarial, economics or related field.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Highly developed analytical and conceptual skills to provide innovative solutions to complex problems
- Substantial knowledge and experience in contemporary financial modelling, review and reporting in a large/complex organisation.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills to undertake productive consultation, collaboration and negotiation and to build effective relationships with key internal and external stakeholders on complex financial issues.
Shortlisted applicants will have their skills and experiences in relation to the remaining selection criteria assessed in the further stages of the recruitment process. Remaining selection criteria can be found on the attached Job Description Form (JDF).
For a full outline of the role responsibilities and selection criteria, please refer to the JDF.
It is recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
All inquiries are welcomed
Please contact Sean Jelinek Manager – School Funding by telephoning (08) 9264 0196 or emailing Sean.Jelinek@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow all instructions. It is recommended you have relevant documents completed and ready to attach with your online application. Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications must be received prior to the closing date and time.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the selection criteria listed above, in the context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please phone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please phone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance before commencing employment
- hold relevant tertiary qualification in accounting, finance, actuarial, economics, or related field
- the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- training specific to this role required by Department policy; and
- the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) Monday, 6 December 2021
Lodgement is system generated. Any submissions at, or after, 4:30pm will not be accepted.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our division for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.