Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS718437
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Are you a passionate and dedicated individual looking for a rewarding change?
Mullewa District High School (DHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO) to join their friendly team.
The successful applicant will work with the school to develop positive relationships with parents, carers and the local community. You will support the Leadership team to develop a Reconciliation Action Plan with the school’s parents, carers and local community.
The successful applicant will support students’ social and emotional needs and support improved attendance and engagement. You will work with students on literacy and numeracy in small intervention groups.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to develop leadership skills by working closely with the leadership team. You will also have a positive impact on our students and work with our families. You will be supported with professional development to enhance your skills and would have input into ensuring that we have culturally responsive practices in the school.
We are looking for someone who can build and maintain positive relationships with the families of Mullewa. Cultural understanding of the local Aboriginal community is highly desirable.
The successful applicant will ideally have the ability to use initiative and work independently as well as the ability to work collaboratively with staff and build positive relationships with students. Knowledge of Positive Behaviour Support (PBS), Direct Instruction and Trauma Informed Practices is highly desirable.
This truly is an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students, working alongside highly motivated staff.
Mullewa has a swimming pool, Recreation Centre with a small gym, doctor’s surgery, hospital, two service stations - one with a mechanic, a food shop and three art galleries. Mullewa is 100km east of Geraldton where you can enjoy shopping, beaches and other social activities. Mullewa is the gateway to the Murchison and enjoys amazing wild flowers in the right season.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Mullewa District High School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Nicki Patterson, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Mullewa, by telephoning (08) 9961 1114 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two to three (2-3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to three to four (3-4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Thursday, 2 December 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.