Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS711856
Do you want to provide a helping hand in supporting students with diverse learning needs?
Southwell Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2022 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2022 school year.
Our school aims to provide a supportive and inclusive classroom environment that is committed to catering not only for the academic needs of our students, but also their social, emotional and physical needs. The school consists of committed and professional staff, a supportive school community and students from culturally diverse backgrounds. The school is developing a strong pastoral care program focused on Positive Behaviour Support implementing trauma informed practice and a nurturing environment.
As a Special Needs Education Assistant it will be highly desirable for you to use excellent interpersonal skills and strong oral and written communication skills to collaborate with teachers, parents and carers, and other colleagues to create an inclusive and engaging program for our students, as well as building positive and caring relationships with our community.
Suitable applicants will ideally have experience working with students with academic, behavioural and social needs and ideally have experience and knowledge with implementing effective strategies to engage students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). Additionally, as a Special Needs Education Assistant you will ideally be flexible, resilient and show initiative whilst working independently to implement programs for students.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the delivery of planned educational programs, implementing individual or small group school based programs. You will contribute to the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Southwell Primary School can be found by visiting southwellps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Janine Hart, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9236 9400 or emailing email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 9 November 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.