Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS647435
This is a three (6) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 4, 2020 with possible extension and/or permanency
Illawarra Primary School (PS) are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Education Assistant – Australian Sign Language (AUSLAN) to join their team.
As the Education Assistant - AUSLAN you will assist the teacher in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. The successful applicant will work under limited supervision and may be expected to participate within a team situation, consulting and providing feedback relating to their relevant area.
The Education Assistant – AUSLAN will assist with the communicative needs of Deaf or Hard of Hearing students using AUSLAN or another sign language or sign system relevant to the child’s mode of communication. In addition, assisting students to understand the education programs through teacher directed tutoring e.g. working on difficult vocabulary, clarifying homework directions.
Illawarra PS is an Independent Public School located in the suburb of Ballajura, approximately 27 kilometres north of the Perth CBD. Our location is on a regular public transport route and close to shops and medical centres. A before and after-school care facility for students from Kindergarten to Year 6 is offered on the grounds of Illawarra Primary School and is run by Camp Australia.
Illawarra is located on well-established grounds with excellent facilities including basketball courts, tennis courts, performing arts stage with lighting and sound, and a variety of play equipment engaging children in social play. Illawarra PS provides an engaging, safe and supportive learning environment in which students will be able to fulfil their potential in all areas - academic, social, physical and creative; and achieve a sense of purpose and self-worth in a changing society.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Well-developed oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with Deaf or Hard of Hearing students, liaise with parents, teachers and community members and where necessary assist teachers in understanding students.
- Well-developed organisational skills, including the ability to contribute to a professional team and deliver an effective education program.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues relevant to deaf or hard of hearing students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Illawarra Primary School can be found by visiting illawarraps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Lexi Diamond, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9205 9800 or emailing Lexi.Diamond@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period please contact Lexi Diamond, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 0419 033 475
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Hold a Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Auslan Interpreting (Paraprofessional/Professional) and/or NAATI Accreditation or have considerable proven experience as an Interpreter;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 14 October 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.