Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS841598
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2023
Gibbs Street Primary School (PS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Gardener - Handyperson to join our team.
As Gardener - Handyperson you will provide gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. You will also maintain the presentation of the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management.
The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as required, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. You will ideally have experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, turf management, minor servicing of gardening equipment, and knowledge of safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
Gibbs Street PS is located in East Cannington, a south eastern suburb approximately 13 kilometres from Perth. Catering for students from Kindergarten to Year 6, current enrolments are approximately 500 students from diverse cultural backgrounds. The school is set in spacious grounds and is easily accessible by public transport. Our facilities include, 20 classes surrounded by generous playground areas shaded by trees, patios, verandas, playground equipment, undercover assembly area, two basketball courts, cricket nets, tennis court and; football oval and soccer field. All buildings are air-conditioned.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Please visit gibbsstps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online for more information about Gibbs Street Primary School.
For job related information
Please contact Selina Millar, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9473 9550 or emailing Selina.Millar@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Selina Millar on 0401 597 614 or Selina.Millar@education.wa.edu.au and you will be contacted to discuss your queries further.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A two (2) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents, or
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
- induction program within three months of commencement
- introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 October 2023
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS LISTED AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.