Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS847392
Do you possess excellent communication skills and are ready to take on new challenges?
West Coast Language Development Centre (LDC) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated Education Assistants – Special Needs, for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of term 4, 2024. Placements can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of term 4, 2024.
West Coast LDC provides a full time supportive educational placement for children from Kindergarten to Year 2 who have a Developmental Language Disorder or delay. Our committed staff provide specialised language and academic intervention on an individual, small group or whole class basis. West Coast LDC is situated across four sites in Padbury, East Hamersley, Heathridge and Quinns Rocks. Staff may be allocated to any of these sites.
Education experience is highly advantageous. Suitable applicants, under limited supervision and guidance, perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. Suitable applicants should apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, on the job learning or relevant qualifications. Suitable applicants would work closely with the teacher and other support staff (including speech pathologists) and perform tasks that require limited guidance in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher and/or the speech pathologist.
Education Assistants at West Coast LDC will ideally have high level capacity to achieve outcomes through working with and managing students in small groups, one-on-one and by assisting the teacher with whole class activities. Critical skills also include teamwork, collaboration, organisation, effective oral and written skills, initiative and an ability to follow instructions from multiple people. In addition, the suitable applicants will work with specialist speech pathologists to implement specific strategies within classrooms. Suitable applicants should clearly show their knowledge and skills in the context of working in a specialist area.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about West Coast Language Development Centre can be found by visiting westcoastldc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Lesley Riches, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 9407 3050 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Catherine Regan on 0401 690 639
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three to four (3 to 4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 9 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.