Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA787936
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2023
Kinross College is seeking a Head of Department (HOD) – Science who will be a key member of the college leadership team. The successful applicant will ideally have the capacity to provide educational leadership across the Science learning area and broader school community. In collaboration with the school’s leadership team, the HOD – Science will support the implementation of the college business plan and be experienced in applying Classroom Management Strategies and progressive use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in the classroom. Support and training is provided for these keys areas.
Kinross College will expand to commence its first Year 11 cohort in 2024 and Year 12 in 2025. A key aspect of this role initially will be to prepare for the additional senior schooling curriculum and offerings within the Science area and as a senior leader across the school. The successful applicant will be responsible for developing and leading an effective team of teachers focussed on providing high quality teaching and learning through curriculum planning and lesson delivery. They will provide curriculum leadership and coordinate the planning, teaching, learning, and monitoring of students to ensure a wide range of explicit teaching and learning strategies.
The successful applicant should have strong interpersonal skills, be a person who strives to excel and someone who is able advance the Learning Area team to achieve great outcomes. The successful applicant will ideally have a detailed knowledge of the Australian and Western Australian Curriculum for Science.
Kinross College incorporates the John Fleming Explicit Teaching model, with a school wide professional learning program as part of our school wide pedagogy. Applicants are expected to have a strong commitment to up-skilling and ensuring the continued implementation of the model.
The expanding enrolment numbers over recent years, indicate the numerous specialist academic and sporting programs offered by the College, are resulting in the College becoming a highly preferred public-school option. Many parents are now choosing Kinross College over a wide range of private school alternatives.
The College continues to upgrade its facilities. A third round of recently completed upgrades, will support the future expansion into upper school, as well as resulting in outstanding student and staff facilities.
Please note that due to the time of the year, there can be a flexible start date in negotiation with the successful applicant and their current workplace if required.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings.
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes.
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Kinross College can be found by visiting kinrosscollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Dale Beaton, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9233 6700 or emailing Dale.Beaton@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Dale Beaton on 0400 282 284
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 02 February 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED