Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS788896
Are you looking to make a positive difference in students’ lives?
East Kimberley College (EKC) are seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and supportive Education Assistants – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year.
Suitable applicants will assist teaching staff in the delivery of planned education programs and in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment. You will also provide feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to student progress. The ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students is desirable.
Suitable applicants will ideally possess strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills which will be used to develop and promote the school’s values, ethos, and priorities across the school community. You will ideally be compassionate and able to work collaboratively to implement documented plans.
Suitable applicants should possess the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with staff, students, and teachers. You should also have a strong knowledge of a range of evidence-based techniques for learning and behaviour and have some experience or knowledge of disabilities such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD.)
EKC is a Kindergarten to Year 12 school, focused on providing an inclusive, safe, supportive, and connected learning environment to educate the 'whole child' to be a successful citizen of the future. Our belief is that “every student matters every day” and “every student can be a high achiever”.
EKC is one of the largest Kindergarten to Year 12 schools in the state with approximately 900 students enrolled. With almost 50% of enrolments being indigenous, it also has the largest enrolment of Aboriginal students of any school in the State.
The College offers all that one would expect in a larger metropolitan school yet has that unique friendly atmosphere typical of a rural community. Our College strives to ensure all students, regardless of ability or style of learning, are provided with the opportunity to reach their full potential in a positive, supportive and engaging learning environment. We foster individual student interests, encourage active participation in the learning process, and assist students to develop their ability to apply knowledge and skills to real life experiences and challenges.
Kununurra is the eastern gateway to the Kimberley and offers many opportunities for adventure seekers. Kununurra is only a three-hour flight from Perth and is famous for its wildlife-rich waterways and wetlands.
For more information about Kununurra visit Destination - Kununurra.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work-related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about East Kimberley College can be found by visiting www.eastkimberleycollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job-related information:
You are encouraged to contact Lisa Oliver, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kununurra, by telephoning (08) 9168 4400 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work-Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 6 December 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.