Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS779712
PLEASE NOTE: The closing date has been extended as of Monday, 5 December 2022 at 11.00am
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2023
The Western Australian (WA) College of Agriculture - Denmark are seeking to appoint a dedicated and hardworking Design and Technology Assistant to join our friendly and supportive team.
The role of a Design and Technology Assistant is to prepare the classroom, laboratory, and workshop to enable the teacher to instruct students effectively. You will assist with ordering supplies and equipment, liaising with suppliers, negotiating prices and obtaining quotes and ensuring adequate supplies are maintained. In addition, provide advice on safe use, storage and disposal of equipment, any related chemicals and wastes in accordance with occupational health and safety requirements.
This role will require you to maintain, evaluate and assess technical equipment, carry out repairs and maintenance on design and technology equipment and arrange off-site repairs. The successful applicant will assist with the ordering of supplies and equipment, liaise with suppliers, negotiate prices, and obtain quotes and ensure adequate supplies are maintained.
The successful applicant will ideally have a sound knowledge of the Work, Health and Safety requirements regarding the storage and recording of chemicals, tool, and maintenance schedules and of stock-taking procedures. You should have interpersonal skills to enable positive relationships with staff and students.
WA College of Agriculture - Denmark is a 560 hectare working farm and educational facility for Year 10, 11 and 12 students offering a wide variety of studies and industry training with an agricultural focus. We attract students from all over the state from a wide variety of backgrounds and have a capacity of around 140 students.
While the majority of our students board in the College's 95-bed residential facility, there are a number of day students, and a bus service is provided to and from Albany. Our prime location is both a strength and motivation for us to continue to deliver outstanding outcomes for our students and develop strong partnerships with the community, to ensure our long-term future.
One of five WA Colleges of Agriculture, Denmark is considered a leading light in the achievement of educational and training outcomes for young men and women in a diverse range of agricultural and related fields. We deliver Australian Curriculum courses to Year 10 students and Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) courses to Year 11 and 12 students. As a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), we deliver Certificate I-III level qualifications in a wide range of industry areas including Agriculture, Automotive, Conservation and Land Management, Engineering, Equine, Forestry and Horticulture.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Knowledge, skills and experience in operating technical/industrial equipment within a design and technology workshop/class or similar environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Western Australian Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984 and its coverage in industrial environments.
- Knowledge of Design and Technology subjects relevant to secondary schools.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to deal effectively with individuals at all levels.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about WA College Of Agriculture – Denmark can be found by visiting denmarkag.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Alf Mungioli, Deputy Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Denmark, by telephoning (08) 9848 0200 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Hold a Certificate III in Work Health and Safety or equivalent qualification or experience
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Friday, 9 December 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.