PLEASE NOTE: The closing date has been extended as of Thursday, 13 January 2022 at 3.35pm
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH727618
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022 with possible extension (12 months) and/or permanency
Pannawonica Primary School (PS) is seeking a Teacher - English and Humanities and Social Sciences to join their high-quality regional school.
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- attractive Country Teaching Program Allowance of $10 210.00 a year
- locality allowance of $4 537.00 a year
- 10 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- 12 weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- more than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- subsidised accommodation where applicable
- free relocation
About the role
Pannawonica PS is currently seeking a Secondary English teacher who is also able to teach Humanities and Social Science (HASS), to join our family in Term 1, 2022. The position is predominantly Secondary English and HASS however, being a remote school, it will also involve some primary teaching. We have an excellent support framework which involves weekly collaborative planning sessions, to support planning and teaching practice development and also access to specialist English and HASS teachers.
The successful applicant should possess a sound understanding of the West Australian (WA) English Curriculum and Senior School English courses. Specific skills and experience in teaching Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) English courses is highly desirable. Knowledge and the ability to use learning strategies that successfully engage students will be highly regarded.
The ability to differentiate curriculum and implement innovative approaches to improve outcomes for both high and low achieving students is a key element to this position. You will build positive relationships with your students and be passionate about creating positive futures for students, be performance driven and utilise evidence-based decision-making skills.
Although called a Primary School we operate as a District High School. Amongst our staff we have six graduates, all of whom are staying on in 2022.
Pannawonica is a closed mining town situated in the Pilbara, two hours from Karratha. At Pannawonica PS our vision is Ohana, which means family and our purpose is to ensure that our students, staff, parents/caregivers and our community members do not get left behind or forgotten academically, socially/emotionally, physically, or culturally.
The location and community
- The school has a strong relationship with the school community and also with the Shire of Ashburton, Rio Tinto and Sodexo, all of whom support the school and community events throughout the year.
- All town residents have free access to the pool, gym and squash courts.
- The position includes housing which is heavily subsidised by Rio Tinto. The monthly rent is $110 including water and electricity.
- The Department of Education will assist with relocation, provide one free flight to Perth each year, an annual Country Teaching Program Allowance and a Locality Allowance.
For more information about Pannawonica and surrounding area visit https://www.ashburton.wa.gov.au/tour/pannawonica/pannawonica-attractions.aspx
For additional information to all allowances and housing please contact Housing and Transport at email@example.com or on (08) 9264 5154.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Pannawonica Primary School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for Recognition for Teachers - Prior Service and Qualifications
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Vivien Stern, Deputy Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Pannawonica, by telephoning (08) 9134 9100 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Vivien Stern on 0412 301 312.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- meet the Department of Education Teacher Qualifications and Registration
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 17 January 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.