Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA719918
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022 with possible extension and/or permanency
Duncraig Senior High School is seeking an innovative and effective leader with outstanding interpersonal skills to fill the role of Head of Learning Area (HOLA) – Humanities and Social Sciences.
The successful applicant will be a key member of the school leadership team and will contribute to the implementation of the school’s Business Plan through participative decision making while promoting the school’s vision and strategic direction.
The HOLA will be responsible for student outcomes as well as instructional leadership of staff and students in the Learning Area. They will need to be organised, collaborative, and have excellent communication skills to lead their staff in exemplary teaching and learning practices. They will have an opportunity to mentor and develop experienced and beginning teachers in a vibrant team environment.
By leading a professional learning community, the HOLA will ensure that the Humanities and Social Science teachers develop consistent instructional practices that optimise student learning and engagement and links to the school’s Teaching and Learning Model.
The HOLA will ideally possess a thorough understanding of the HaSS Western Australian Curriculum and Senior Secondary WACE Courses. The role will also require an understanding of successful management of both physical and financial resources to enhance student outcomes.
Duncraig SHS is situated in the north-western suburbs on the coastal strip 18km from Perth. We cater for students from Year 7 to Year 12 and are a school of high standards where the care and progress of every child is our first priority. We continue to improve our resources and facilities through the support of our Board, our parent body and the Education Department. With a growing school population, and a recent announcement of $30.8 million to build additional permanent specialist facilities, Duncraig SHS is a school of choice. Our staff are carefully selected for their commitment to the delivery of quality education and for their willingness to adhere to the School values and enhance the traditions. Duncraig SHS is part of a thriving community where students have a voice and regularly return to continue their engagement.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Duncraig Senior High School can be found by visiting duncraigshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Louis Cheeseman, Associate Principal by telephoning (08) 6241 54300 or emailing Louis.firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 6 December 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED