Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS715641
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE AS AT 4:00PM THURSDAY 25 NOVEMBER 2021 A CHANGE TO THE CLOSING DATE HAS OCCURED.
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, part-time (0.3FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2022
Shenton College is seeking a dedicated and motivated individual to join their friendly team in the role of Defence Transition Mentor to coordinate the Youth Support Program for the children of the Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel. If you are student orientated, enthusiastic, and seeking to join a progressive and proud community, please consider applying.
The Defence Secondary Transition Mentor will be responsible for maintaining and enhancing systems that provide a responsive and effective youth support service for students of ADF members and family members. They will maintain and establish professional links between schools and various public and private sector organisations, develop, plan and implement youth work interventions, and provides a supportive link between the student, the family, the schools and other appropriate agencies in the community. The successful applicant will actively participate in multi-disciplinary team meetings and case conferences within the school, including the provision of consultancy advice. They will research current issues for students from mobile ADF families, providing written reports outlining findings. The Defence Transition Mentor accepts responsibility for day-to-day management matters, as well as responding to complex demands during critical situations.
The College’s strength is in its commitment to develop the “whole child” and to empower students to be independent and confident learners. Our success is built on solid foundations and on the skills of an outstanding staff. The direction of the College is enunciated in our Shenton 2020 Vision Statement: We are a boldly ambitious school at the forefront of education in Australia, delivering the highest quality education to our community. We embrace intellectual independence, creativity and curiosity and a sense of responsibility towards others – enabling us to lead lives of agency contribution and fulfilment.
Shenton College has a proud culture of excellence. The selective Gifted and Talented Program requires all staff to appreciate and be responsive to the needs of gifted students. With a ‘can do’ capacity to problem solve, our staff pride themselves in delivering outstanding services to our students, parents and community.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Well-developed oral, written and interpersonal communication skills that demonstrate an ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships, negotiate and resolve conflict.
- Well developed organisational skills with the ability to prioritise tasks to meet deadlines and work autonomously and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Well developed research, conceptual and analytical skills and experience in identifying problems and developing appropriate intervention strategies and support programs.
- Skills and experience in working with individual or small groups of adolescents who are experiencing difficulties.
- Practical working knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations.
- Understanding of the ADF organisation and the additional challenges that the posting cycle places upon students from an ADF family.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Shenton College can be found by visiting shenton.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Dianne Firkin, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 0411 431 394 or emailing Dianne.Firkin@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 30 November 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.