Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS673371
Grandis Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year and up to the end of Term 1, 2022. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year, up to the end of Term 1, 2022.
As an Education Assistants Special Needs at Grandis, you will, under general supervision and guidance, perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes for students as determined by the teacher. You will apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant principles and practices acquired through previous experience, on the job learning or relevant qualifications. Education Assistants Special Needs will work collaboratively and flexibly with the teaching staff, parents and support agencies to develop individual and group documented plans. Education Assistants Special Needs will be responsible for modifying resources to meet the specific needs of individual and groups of students. They will collect data on student achievement, and behaviour in accordance with the documented plans and report their findings to the teacher, they will also be a part of the case management approach to student support services.
Suitable applicants, will be effective team players and good communicators. They will work with the teacher to implement specialised and general education programs to support the learning of all students. Education Assistants Special Needs will need to have excellent time management skills and may be required to work with a variety of teachers and students throughout the day. We are seeking Education Assistants Special Needs who are skilled in the preparation of the learning environment and learning tasks. You will have a commitment to supporting the academic, pastoral, behavioural and social needs of our students to create and maintain a supportive and inclusive learning environment for all students. To be effective in this position you will be confident using digital technology to enhance learning outcomes and have sound knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of disabilities together with knowledge of National Quality Standards, Early Childhood Education principles and philosophies. It would be highly desirable for applicants to have experience in working with a range of students with disabilities together with supporting teachers in the delivery of synthetic phonics, play based learning, Talk 4 Writing and have Certificate III or above in qualifications.
Suitable applicants will also understand that social-emotional skills and positive student behaviour need to be explicitly modelled and taught on a daily basis. They will be able to create and maintain safe, engaging and caring learning environments that promote positive relationships and behaviours. They will fully support and implement the Positive Behaviour School expectations of Kind, Respectful, Responsible, Learners.
Grandis Primary opened in 2019 for Kindergarten and Pre-Primary students and 2020 for the remainder of the school. Our Education Assistants Special Needs will be expected to support the teaching staff in the planning and implementing engaging, challenging and supportive learning programs that give every student the opportunity to succeed.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Grandis Primary School can be found by visiting www.grandisps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Trudy Jones, Deputy Principal by telephoning (08) 9233 6500 or emailing Trudy.Jones@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 09 March 2021.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.