Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS673212
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Carnarvon Community College is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic School Attendance Officer to join their student focused team.
The School Attendance Officer will assist the school community with processes to improve student engagement and attendance in educational programs. In this role you will collaborate with school students, staff, parents, education regional office and the community to identify causes of absenteeism and assist in supporting students in overcoming these. As the School Attendance Officer you may be required to explore alternative educational, vocational or employment options aimed at improving student engagement.
The successful applicant will work to establish systems and processes to increase school attendance and accountability for non-attendance. You will also assist with the development and implementation of individual student attendance improvement plans whilst participating in collaborative case conferences and attendance panels to improve student attendance, participation and retention.
The School Attendance Officer will maintain student-specific case notes, briefing notes and relevant attendance information for reporting to the school and regional administration on a regular basis whilst carrying out duties in accordance with current Department policies, relevant legislation, guidelines and system initiatives, awards and agreements, and the regional management plan and priorities. As such, it would be highly desirable for the successful applicant to be well-organised and thorough.
Carnarvon CC is proud to be a public Kindergarten to Year 12 school, servicing the entire town of Carnarvon. In mid-2019 we amalgamated as a single site school and opened our new state of the art facilities, ushering in a new era of education in Carnarvon where we will strive to produce the best possible academic outcomes.
Our College is committed to becoming a leader in education in Western Australia. We want to be known as not only the school of choice in Carnarvon, but a school that is recognised throughout the state as a leader in teaching practice. As a College we are committed to the Health and Wellbeing of our entire community as well developing exceptional instructional practice in our staff.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Sound knowledge of current trends and issues related to attendance and education within a local community.
- The ability to build positive relationships and work effectively with individuals or small groups of students experiencing attendance related difficulties.
- Sound research and problem solving skills including the ability to identify appropriate solutions to problems, such as those affecting student attendance.
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships, particularly in a team environment.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Carnarvon Community College can be found by visiting www.carnarvoncc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Ryan Govan, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Carnarvon, by telephoning (08) 9941 6000 or emailing Ryan.Govan@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 8 March 2021
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.