Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE604383
This is a permanent full-time position commencing as soon as possible.
The Communications and Media Division is seeking a highly motivated Media and Communications Officer to join the team.
To be successful, our ideal candidate will write content in a news media style showcasing initiatives, innovations and reforms in public education, and have a keen interest in photography and social media as a means of communication. You will also be a good team player, both within our team and the wider Department, and maintain effective working relationships with school staff and journalists.
The focus of the Media branch is to ensure all activities enhance the image and reputation of the Department and promote WA Government initiatives in public education.
It would be desirable for you to hold a current and valid C class Driver’s Licence.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our branch for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Experience within a journalism environment, including ability to produce news-style photographs.
- Ability to write for a range of audiences, styles and formats, including the ability to generate accurate, concise copy and proof-read and edit material in a news style.
- Well-developed interpersonal communication and negotiation skills with the ability to work effectively and constructively with individuals at all levels and within a team environment.
- Ability to use a range of social media and digital communications tools to promote Department messages and initiatives to the media.
- Well-developed research, investigation and analytical skills with an ability to provide innovative thinking.
- Well-developed organisational skills and sound initiative with the ability to work unsupervised and in a team environment to deliver outcomes on schedule.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the branch may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further job related information:
Please contact Liz Di Giovanni, Manager, by telephoning (08) 9264 5348 or emailing Liz.DiGiovanni@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A written statement addressing each of the six listed work related requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance before commencing employment
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Department policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 23 January 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED