Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH826225
Are you an adventurous Secondary Teacher looking for a rewarding opportunity?
East Kimberley College is seeking to establish a pool of skilled Secondary Teachers for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year through to the end of Term 2, 2024.
Working at East Kimberley College provides you with the many professional and personal benefits of working for the Department of Education including:
- Attractive Country Teaching Program Allowance of $13,730 per year
- Locality allowance of $4,437 per year
- Attraction and Retention Incentive of $17,000 see info below
- 10.5 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- 12 weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- Subsidised accommodation
- Free relocation
- Air-conditioning subsidy
You may be eligible for HELP/HECS assistance if you are working in a very remote location – click here for details
Teachers and school administrators employed at East Kimberley College in 2023 are eligible to receive an Attraction and Retention Incentive of $17,000 (pa, gross – to be adjusted pro rata for FTE and tenure). Eligible staff will receive a percentage of this payment on commencement at the school, with the remainder paid at the end of the school year. Staff must remain employed in the location until the end of the school year to be eligible to receive the second payment.
The ARI payment is in addition to other incentives that may apply in this school.
About the Role
Teaching at East Kimberley College will suit applicants who are highly motivated, relationship-focused, and passionate about creating exciting learning experiences to ignite a desire to learn in students. Applicants will ideally possess an understanding of explicit teaching strategies and differentiating the curriculum to cater for the individual needs of students.
We currently have the following positions available for immediate appointments:
- 1 x Year 9/10 Enrichment program – Fixed term 6-months with possible extension
- 1 x Humanities and Social Sciences – Fixed term 6-months with possible extension
- 1 x Health and Physical Education – Fixed term 6-months with possible extension
We also have other teaching vacancies that can be combined to make a full-time teaching load. If you possess the ability to teach Mathematics, Science, AUSLAN and/or Performing Arts please contact Cameron Ross, Associate Principal Secondary, on 0477 314 541 or Cameron.firstname.lastname@example.org to find out what we currently have on offer.
East Kimberley College is one of the largest Kindergarten to Year 12 schools in the state with approximately 900 students enrolled. With almost 50% of enrolments being Indigenous, it also has the largest enrolment of Aboriginal students of any school in the State. The College offers all that one would expect in a larger metropolitan school yet has that unique friendly atmosphere typical of a rural community. Our College strives to ensure all students, regardless of ability or style of learning, are provided with the opportunity to reach their full potential in a positive, supportive, and engaging learning environment.
At East Kimberley College, our belief is that 'every student matters every day' and we foster our values through a recognised and respected ethos, 'Seek, Strive, Believe, Achieve'.
The Location and Community
Kununurra is the eastern gateway to the Kimberley and offers many opportunities for adventure seekers. Throughout March to October the weather is mild, the surroundings are lush green, and there are many camping and hiking opportunities within a short drive. Lake Kununurra is a 56km stretch of fresh water that runs along the edge of the Town of Kununurra and connects to Lake Argyle, making easy access for fishing and boating. Throughout December to February the wet season fills the local springs and turns on local waterfalls, making Kununurra a beautiful place to live all year round.
For those wanting to explore the Kimberley, the Gibb River Road begins 58kms outside of Kununurra and runs all the way to Broome via a series of sealed and unsealed roads. Campsites and gorges are dotted all the way along. Kununurra also connects to Broome via the sealed Great Northern Highway, which runs through Halls Creek and the Fitzroy Valley Crossing.
For more information about Kununurra visit Destination - Kununurra.
For additional information to all allowances and housing please contact Housing and Transport at email@example.com or on (08) 9264 5154.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about East Kimberley College can be found by visiting www.eastkimberleycollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for recognition of prior service.
For further job-related information:
You are encouraged to contact Cameron Ross, Associate Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kununurra, by telephoning 0477 314 541 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A one to two (1-2) page statement addressing the Professional Practice domain that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school. Professional Knowledge and Professional Engagement will be addressed at a later stage on the recruitment process.
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Meet the Department of Education Teacher Qualifications and Registration requirements; and
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement; and
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Wednesday 14 June 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.