Looking for a new career?
Want the opportunity to earn whilst you learn?
Ever considered a career in rail?
The Public Transport Authority’s (PTA) vision is to be recognised as a leader in providing world-class public transport services and solutions. Western Australia’s public transport system is recognised as the best in Australia and is one of the most efficient, clean and safe networks in the world. Rail transport is vital for our continued success and growth through our many projects including METRONET to meet the public’s needs and expectations. Moving millions of people needs the skill and commitment of a talented workforce.
About this opportunity
As the first line of defence in ensuring safety and performance of our rail network, track inspection is a critical activity at the PTA. The PTA’s Track Inspector Development Program (TIDP) provides the opportunity to develop the skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake this vital role.
We currently have a number of full-time opportunities available on this Program, which is scheduled to commence in late May 2023.
Trainee Track Inspectors will receive a salary equivalent to 85% of a Level 3 Track Inspector. Over the course of the Program, you will work across various aspects of the PTA’s track inspection and maintenance functions, whilst also undertaking structured training. Upon successful completion of the Program, you will receive nationally recognised qualifications in Rail Infrastructure and will be eligible for permanent appointment as a Level 3 Track Inspector with the PTA.
What do I need to become a Trainee Track Inspector?
This is a great opportunity for people interested in starting a career in the rail industry, as previous experience in rail is not necessary. We would love to hear from you if you have if you have:
- Previous experience working in a safety critical and/or regulated environment;
- A strong desire to learn;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, and can work well in a team environment;
- Good literacy, numeracy, analytical and problem-solving skills; and
- A current Western Australian 'C' or 'C-A' Class Driver’s License (or equivalent).
As these positions are operational in nature, you must also be:
- Willing to work unsociable and irregular hours, including shift work and weekends;
- Prepared to undertake numerical, verbal and mechanical reasoning aptitude tests and complete a pre-employment medical assessment (including drug and alcohol screening).
As part of the selection process, you must:
- Be prepared to provide a national police clearance and complete a pre-employment medical assessment (including drug and alcohol screening);
- Be available to attend all stages of the recruitment process (including aptitude testing
Applicants found suitable through this selection process may also be considered for other similar roles.
Interested and want to know more?
For more information on our organisation, please visit our website www.pta.wa.gov.au.
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Mr Robert Fellows, Maintenance Superintendent – Track, on 0460 651 239.
How to Apply
To apply for the TIDP:
- Download and complete the attached Integrity Check Form.
- Submit a covering letter, addressing the following five points:
- Please tell us about your work experience up until now?
- What motivated you to apply for this opportunity?
- What skills, qualities and experience do you have that will benefit you as a Trainee Track Inspector?
- Please give an example of something you have done that demonstrates your willingness to learn?
- Tell us about your experience working in a safety critical environment?
- Upload your cover letter, a current resume (including two work-related referees), Integrity Check Form, and evidence of your current WA ‘C’ Class Driver’s Licence.
We value cultural and social diversity and encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Please apply online using the ‘Apply for Job’ button at the top/bottom of the screen. Applicants are encouraged to carefully read the attached Job Application Package as it will assist you in applying for this position.
Applications close at 5pm, Tuesday 29 November 2022. Please ensure you allow sufficient time to lodge your application as late, pro forma or emailed applications will not be accepted.
Please note - this is a pool recruitment process where suitable applicants will be placed in a pool from which appointments will be made within the next six (6) months.