Please be advised as of Thursday, November 2022 the closing date for this advertisement has been extended
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS780285
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2023
WA College of Agriculture – Harvey is seeking a Cook to join our catering department. Formal qualifications are not required and we can provide training and development for the right applicant.
The hours of duty are family friendly and offer a great work-life balance. The roster includes a 40-hour week over an 8 day fortnight, working Wednesday to Friday from 8.30am to 7pm and every second weekend. Kitchen staff are only required to work one week during each of the three school term holidays and take 20 days of paid leave during the summer holidays.
As the Cook, you will provide high quality, nutritious meals for college students, staff and special functions in a well equipped kitchen. You will work with the College Chef and other members of the team to plan menus, order stock, prepare meals and maintain a clean and hygienic kitchen environment in keeping with public health and safety standards. The Cook is expected to coordinate some kitchen functions in the absence of the Chef.
To be successful in this role, the Cook will work well in a team environment to prepare a large volume of meals for upper secondary students and staff on a daily basis as per the established menu. The ability to work unsupervised with good planning and coordination skills to ensure adequate preparation of meals will be highly regarded.
WACOA – Harvey is located in the Southwest 1.5 hours south of Perth, and is close to the coast and Bunbury. The College is situated on a commercially operating farm which makes for a pleasant and interesting work environment. A range of additional extra-curricular activities throughout the year add value and interest for staff and students.
As a specialist Agricultural and related trades training school, students attend from across Western Australia with the majority boarding on site. Students apply to attend the College with a genuine interest in the curriculum offerings being the main desirable attribute. As a result, students are motivated and engaged in their learning.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience in a commercial cooking environment and ability to prepare meals for approximately 100 people on a daily basis.
- The ability to instruct and supervise catering staff.
- Experience in the ordering or requisitioning of food and other supplies needed to ensure efficient kitchen operations.
- Organisational skills, including the ability to prioritise tasks to meet timelines.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to liaise with individuals at all levels and work cooperatively in a team environment.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about WA College Of Agriculture – Harvey can be found by visiting www.harveyag.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job-related information:
You are encouraged to contact Bernard Murnane, Head Of Residence for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Wokalup, by telephoning (08) 9782 2100 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria) in relation to your experience in similar roles
- A CV outlining your employment and training history relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation Course
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 21 November 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.