Senior Research Scientist
Specified Calling 4 | Full Time – Permanent
- Apply your skills and experience to make a positive impact on the future of the Western Australian agri-food industry!
- Join WA’s Public Sector workforce and experience all the benefits of work-life balance and flexible work arrangements it has to offer.
- You will work in a dynamic research environment and gain exposure to our livestock.
What will your typical day look like?
We are looking for a highly experienced Research Scientist to join the Livestock Research and Development directorate. This position will be responsible for developing research programs to improve and promote sustainable livestock production systems and conduct research that helps transform the WA livestock industry. In addition to developing and maintaining stakeholder relationship with; industry groups, producers, and other agricultural research and development organisations. This role also responsible for mentoring and leading research staff within the branch.
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate:
- The ability to carry out scientific research and development activities relevant to livestock industries.
- A track record of livestock research, including developing and leading collaborate research programs
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills.
- A deep understanding of relevant livestock industries and production, including emerging trends in production in a changing environment.
For further key responsibilities please see attached JDF.
Enough about us, let’s talk about you.
The ideal candidate will have considerable knowledge of livestock production systems and experience in undertaking scientific research and specialised knowledge of agri-food industry sustainable production systems. We are seeking someone who understands the opportunities of the livestock industry within the changing climate. You must be self-motivated, be capable of building and leading multidisciplined, geographically spread teams and have considerable experience communicating research findings to the agricultural industry. Have the confidence to liaise across the public and private sectors to build and sustain productive working relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders; and facilitate collaborative partnerships.
For all essential criteria, please see the attached JDF.
At DPIRD we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and strongly encourage people with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, young people, women and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our agency.
Get ready to apply. It’s simple.
Click the Apply if this is something that excites you! All we need is:
- A resume of no more than three (3) pages including details of two (2) referees
- A cover letter of no more than three (3) pages in length demonstrating how your skills, knowledge and experience relate to the following Essential Work Related Requirements.
- Work Related Requirement 1 - Role specific: Substantial experience in scientific research and specialised knowledge of agri-food industry sustainable production systems.
- Work Related Requirement 2 - Build effective relationships: Highly-developed interpersonal, presentation and negotiation skills, including the ability to confidently liaise across the public and private sectors, building and sustaining productive working relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders; facilitating collaborative partnerships.
- Work Related Requirement 3 - Challenge for innovation: Highly-developed ability to think creatively and laterally anticipating opportunities and risks to provide high quality, future focussed results.
It is recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information. Please note that all of the Work-Related Requirements will be assessed at some stage during the selection process.
Need further information?
We’d love to hear from you!
To have a confidential discussion, please contact Bruce Mullan Principal Research Scientist, on 0428 279 551 (during business hours).
Am I eligible to apply?
To be eligible for a permanent appointment to the Western Australian public sector you must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia. To be eligible for a fixed term or a casual appointment you must have documentary evidence of your entitlement to live and work in Australia for the period as part of your application.
You will be required to provide a current National Police Certificate (police clearance) before commencing employment. If not currently held, this must be acquired prior to commencement at applicant’s expense.
Special Requirements for this position:
- Bachelor degree in Agricultural Science, Science or an approved equivalent.
- A current and valid Western Australian "C" class (car) drivers’ licence or equivalent is required (if not currently held must be acquired prior to commencement at applicant’s expense).
- Occasional travel to and from metropolitan and regional offices may be required.
- The contract of employment specifies terms and conditions relating to this position
This process may be used to fill other similar vacancies throughout the department. In addition to this, should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position, the panel may select another suitable applicant from this selection process. Both of these options remain valid for a period of twelve (12) months from approval of the initial recruitment decision.
The recruitment process may include online written assessments, psychometric, cognitive or other testing, job related tasks, video or live stream interviews, documentation and reference checks or other assessment methodologies as required. Applicants will be advised of this where necessary.
Please ensure you have plenty of time to submit your application to allow for unanticipated problems, as late and proforma applications will not be accepted. (Please note: Online lodgement is system generated. Any submissions on or after 4:00pm will not be accepted)
CLOSING DATE: Wednesday, 17 August 2022 at 4:00 PM WST