Please be advised that as of 10:00am Wednesday, 18 May 2022, the closing date has been amended.
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS747116
This is a three (3) month fixed term, full-time position commencing in Term 2, 2022
East Kimberley College (EKC) are seeking an enthusiastic Assistant Gardener - Handyperson to join their dynamic team.
To be successful in this role, you will ideally have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy maintaining the grounds, gardens and facilities for the benefit of our staff, students and school community.
The Assistant Gardener - Handyperson will help provide gardening, grounds and facility management support to ensure a safe and clean school environment. You will assist in maintaining and presenting the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and providing a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Assistant Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
The successful applicant will ideally have good communication skills to help develop and maintain good working relationships with school staff and external stakeholders. Knowledge of safe work practices would also be highly desirable.
EKC is one of the largest Kindergarten to Year 12 schools in the State with approximately 900 students enrolled. With almost 50% of enrolments being indigenous, it also has the largest enrolment of Aboriginal students of any school in the State.
The College is located on a large, well-maintained and attractive site in the centre of Kununurra. The school draws from a diverse town population representing Aboriginal communities, agricultural, horticultural, mining and related service industries. An extensive range of State and Commonwealth agencies are represented in Kununurra and they work closely with the school to ensure the best support is available for our students.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about East Kimberley College please visit www.eastkimberleycollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job-related information:
You are encouraged to contact Lisa Oliver, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kununurra, by telephoning (08) 9168 4400 or emailing email@example.com.
During the school holiday period, please contact Lisa Oliver on 0417 183 244.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current Line Manager; and
- A cover letter of no more than one (1) page. Please address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each criteria.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and apply safe working practices.
- Ability to assist in maintaining both soft and hard landscaped areas.
- Ability in the practical application and safe use of hand tools.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment;
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy; and
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
Applicants are advised of the recently announced mandatory vaccination policy for various occupations and workforces in WA. Employees working in, or attending school sites are required to be vaccinated in accordance with the policy. More information can be found at Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for WA workforces (www.wa.gov.au).
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Thursday, 26 May 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.