The Commissioner’s primary focus is to improve the wellbeing of children and young people, giving priority to the interests and needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and young people, the vulnerable and the disadvantaged.
The Commissioner oversees the activities of State and local government agencies as they affect children and young people. The Commissioner can require agencies to provide information about their policies and practices and has a right of access to information held by government agencies. The Commissioner is required to consult and act in cooperation with other agencies.
The Commissioner reports directly to the Western Australian Parliament. The Attorney General is the Minister responsible for administration of the Act. A Joint Standing Committee for the Commissioner for Children and Young People is established with its powers and functions determined by agreement between the two Houses of Parliament.
High level strategic skills
• High level strategic, analytical and conceptual skills
• Ability to analyse complex issues objectively and arrive at impartial conclusions which are supported by relevant and evidence-based research.
• A record of successful leadership of a statutory or complex organisation
• A record of achieving organisational objectives and the successful delivery of policy outcomes, products, services, programs or other organisational outputs.
Interpersonal skills, personal qualities and communication skills
• Outstanding relationship building skills, with a demonstrated capacity to develop and maintain effective consultative and collaborative working relationships and networks.
• Superior communication skills.
• Demonstrate significant personal integrity, honesty and exemplary ethical standards and resilience.
Qualifications and experience
• Professional qualifications and experience in matters affecting children.
• Personal integrity, honesty and ethical standards of the highest order.
• Understanding of ethics, public administration and current issues affecting the needs of children and young people.
For Further Job Related Information
For a confidential discussion regarding the role, or for other queries relating to the application process, please contact the recruitment consultant Mr Nick Verkerk from Beilby Downing Teal on 0403 457 363.
Please refer to the attached Application and Process Guide and Position Description.