Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS654089
Byford Secondary College (SC) are seeking to establish a pool of Assistant Gardener - Handyperson for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2021 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2021 school year.
To be suitable in this role you will have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy maintaining the grounds, gardens and facilities for the benefit of our staff, students and school community.
The Gardener - Handyperson will provide gardening, grounds and facility management support to ensure a safe and clean school environment. They will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The suitable applicants will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
The suitable applicants will have effective communication skills to help develop and maintain good working relationships with school staff and external stakeholders. A sound knowledge of safe work practices would also be highly desirable.
Byford SC is an Independent Public School located on Abernethy Road in Byford approximately 30 kilometres from the Perth CBD. With approximately 1400 students, the College is in its sixth year of operation and will cater for students from Years 7 to Year 12. Our College provides for the secondary education needs of students from Byford and the surrounding communities. Byford SC is also a focal point for secondary education provision for students with disabilities with the opening of our inclusion facilities in 2017. Byford SC's motto, Aspire to Excellence, clearly articulates our vision of being the secondary school of choice for the local community which provides a comprehensive suite of subjects from Year 7 through 12.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Byford Secondary College please visit www.byfordsc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Caroline Chellew, Business Support Officer, by telephoning (08) 9550 6100 or emailing email@example.com
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- In no more than one (1) page, address the selection criteria by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to the criteria below:
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and apply safe working practices.
- Ability to assist in maintaining both soft and hard landscaped areas.
- Ability in the practical application and safe use of hand tools.
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready before applying for this job as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time,
To submit your application, select one of the following options:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your documents.
Submit an online application using a school computer
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:30am and 3pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
- Hand-deliver your completed application form and documents to the school reception (57, Abernethy Road Byford) before the closing date and time.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
Applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment System Support team on (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- complete introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a ten (10) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 19 November 2020
PROFORMA AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED