The Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation is committed to increasing employment opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. As a measure to achieve equality, Section 51 of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (WA) will apply to this position and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are strongly encouraged to apply.
Opportunity for current WA public sector employees only. No external applicants will be considered.
The Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation is Western Australia’s (WA) lead agency for economic development, international trade and investment, and tourism. It also leads the promotion and development of the defence, international education, science, and innovation sectors in WA. The Department offers excellent career prospects in a supportive and stimulating environment.
The Department is seeking four (4) Investment and Trade Commissioners for commencement in early 2021. These roles will be for the following regions: North East Asia region (based in Tokyo), China region (based in Shanghai), ASEAN region (based in Singapore or Jakarta), and the India/Gulf region (based in Mumbai or Dubai). These will be offered for a period of 3 years with the possibility of extension. They will commence in Perth and be deployed to overseas offices after an initial induction period.
A pool will be established and suitable candidates may be offered positions as vacancies arise until 31 December 2021.
We are seeking passionate WA public sector employees who are keen to represent the WA Government to promote the State’s investment and trade interests at an international level.
These important roles will lead a range of activities with a team of staff in their region to advance Western Australia’s economic interests by:
- Developing and maintaining business and government networks in WA and overseas
- Gathering market intelligence and working collaboratively with stakeholders to identify trade and investment opportunities for WA businesses
- Developing and implementing strategies in international markets to promote WA’s capabilities and investment and trade opportunities
- Working with stakeholders to realise commercial opportunities for the State and WA businesses
- Be a current WA public sector employee with an interest in promoting WA as a preferred trade and investment partner to overseas businesses and governments in international settings
- Have a strong track record in delivering strategic outcomes for the WA Government with a demonstrated ability to represent the WA Government with credibility and integrity
- Have a keen interest in working as part of the State Government’s International Trade and Investment Office Network to progress your public sector career, enhancing your senior leadership and engagement skills
Successful candidates will be supported with an extensive on boarding program including: intensive engagement with WA industry and public sector agencies, and cultural and language training where relevant before commencing in overseas postings.
Please review the attached Job Description Form, for further information.
Interested in more information? For specific information regarding the requirements of the position, please contact Ms Rebecca Weston, Manager Human Resources by telephone (08) 9262 1883.
To learn more about the Department and what we have to offer, visit our website or follow us on LinkedIn.
Additional job information
The Department conducts employment screening for applicants, which will include a national police clearance and may include Australian Government security clearance screening. A talent search may extend beyond the closing date.
Ready to apply? To apply please provide:
- A covering letter (3 pages maximum) describing how your skills and experience meet the job requirements and capabilities described in the Job Description Form, and your vision for the role;
- A detailed CV (4 pages maximum). Please ensure your application includes the names of 2 referees, with a current line manager preferred; and
- Specify your top 3 preferred Regional Commissioner roles in your covering letter.
Applicants must be submitted online. To avoid last minute congestion of the system, please submit your application well before the closing time. We are unable to accept late applications.
It is recommended that you read the attached Job Information Pack.
When you are ready to apply click the ‘Apply for Job’ button at the top or bottom of this page. You will be asked a number of questions, and then be prompted to attach your application documents.
If you experience technical difficulties applying online, please contact the RAMS Helpdesk on 1300 733 056 in the first instance. For information about the process, you can contact Human Resources on (08) 6277 2854.
Closing Date: Thursday 12 November 2020 at 12:00pm MIDDAY (AWST)