Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS642874
Byford Secondary College (SC) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and committed Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2020 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2021. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2020 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2021.
As an Education Assistant- Special Needs you will assist students to develop communication and self-regulation in a variety of educational settings. In addition to the duties listed for Education Assistant - Special Needs, you may at times be required to undertake generic duties, which under teacher direction, include meeting the individual education and care needs of students with a range of special needs, including intellectual disabilities, physical disabilities, sensory impairments (vision and hearing) and Autism Spectrum Disorder. Your willingness to work with students with complex and high medical needs/challenging and oppositional behaviour would be highly desirable. Skills or interest in training in manual handing, changing/toileting, feeding, Team Teach, TEACCH practices and Hydrotherapy experience would also be advantageous.
Under teacher direction, you will assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as literacy, Award Scheme Development and Accreditation Network (ASDAN), Workplace Learning, Vocational Education and Training (VET), occupational therapy, speech therapy, and physiotherapy programs. You will possess the ability to deliver planned education and therapy programs and have the capacity to contribute to, implement and evaluate a wide range of strategies as part of a student's Individual Education Plan.
Byford SC is an Independent Public School located on Abernethy Road in Byford approximately 30 kilometres from the Perth CBD. Our College provides for the secondary education needs of students from Byford and the surrounding communities. Byford SC has become a focal point for secondary education provision for students with disabilities with our inclusion facilities. Byford SC's motto, ‘Aspire to Excellence’ clearly articulates our vision of being the secondary school of choice for the local community which provides a comprehensive suite of subjects from Year 7 through 12.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Byford Secondary College can be found by visiting www.byfordsc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
Please contact Jacqueline Bennett, School Officer by telephoning (08) 9550 1600 or emailing Jacqueline.email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 17 September 2020.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.