Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA637616
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2021
Looking for a sea change and a tree change? Denmark provides both for you!
Denmark Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and highly motivated Head of Learning Area (HOLA) – Mathematics.
In collaboration with the school leadership team, the HOLA - Mathematics will provide educational leadership and commit to improving outcomes for our students. You will be responsible for student outcomes, provide sound financial and resource management, as well as instructional leadership of staff and students in the Mathematics Learning Area.
The successful applicant will possess highly effective interpersonal skills, strong leadership skills and have the ability to work collaboratively with an enthusiastic team of teachers to support best practice. You will have a well-developed knowledge of the mathematics curriculum and be able to implement an inclusive curriculum that meets the needs of all students. Your role will include reviewing and implementing a whole school Numeracy Plan. We are seeking an exemplary practitioner who has taught successfully at Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) level, including Methods and Specialist courses.
The ability to be student and relationship focused, enthusiastic, innovative and motivated, and work collaboratively in a team environment is highly desirable, espousing the school’s motto of Strive to Achieve. The successful applicant will engage in ongoing self-reflection and assess the effectiveness of teaching practice within the Mathematics Learning Area, fostering a positive environment conducive to learning, and through modelling, create a culture of improvement. You will provide educational opportunities which translate to purposeful and relevant learning experiences that cater for different student learning needs. The successful applicant will make informed data based decisions to lead the Mathematics Operational Plan, ensuring it works within the school’s Business Plan.
Denmark SHS is an Independent Public School located on the banks of the Denmark River in the Great Southern region of WA, part of the South West Education Region. Built on its current site in 1999, the school is set on 19 hectares of riverside land one kilometre east of the town centre. The school provides Year 7 to Year 12 secondary school education for students in the communities of Denmark and Walpole as well as to a number of smaller communities in the area. Our highly professional and experienced teachers are committed to ensuring our claim of “Small enough to care, big enough to deliver” is enacted each and every day.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Denmark Senior High School can be found by visiting www.denmarkshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Trevor Henderson, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9848 0100 or emailing Trevor.Henderson@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in the context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees (one being your current line manager)
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 14 August 2020
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.