CLOSING DATE: 3 April 2020 at 11:45PM WST
Who we are
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development’s (DPIRD) purpose is to create enduring prosperity for all Western Australians. Our department ensures that primary industries and regions are key contributors to the Government’s agenda for economic growth and diversification, job creation, strong communities and better places.
We work collaboratively across government, industry and community to advance three goals: Protect, Grow, Innovate.
For more information about the Department, please visit our website.
About the Gascoyne Development Commission
The Gascoyne Development Commission is a State Government statutory authority created through the Regional Development Commissions Act of 1993. It is one of nine regional development commissions established in Western Australia’s regions to facilitate economic and social development.
The Commission works directly with the office of the Minister for Regional Development and advocates for the priorities of the region in this and other State forums. The chairman of the Commission’s board is a member of the Regional Development Council and the chief executive officer also advises this peak body representing the nine regions of Western Australia.
The Commission’s function is to take necessary steps to promote, facilitate and monitor development in the region. This includes:
- Developing and broadening the economic based.
- Identifying infrastructure and service needs.
- Maximising job creation and improving career opportunities.
- Providing information and advice.
- Seeking to ensure access to government services is equitable in the region.
For more information about the Commission, please visit our website
We currently have one (1) permanent full time appointment available for immediate filling.
We are seeking to establish a pool of suitably qualified applicants for the role of Principal Regional Development Officer. The pool will be valid for a period of twelve (12) months following finalisation of the process and may be used to fill permanent and fixed term, full time and part time opportunities that may arise in this period. Please note, being appointed to the pool does not guarantee you placement to a position.
The Principal Regional Development Officer will manage the delivery of specified strategic and complex projects that support delivery of the Commission’s objectives. The focus of this role will be on the Gascoyne Development Commission’s strategic priorities of Growing Tourism and Primary Production, Aboriginal Economic Development and Workforce Development. The successful candidate will foster effective consultative and collaborative working relationships and networks with key stakeholders across the public and private sectors, on matters related to investment and development of the region.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate substantial experience in policy, program, and strategy development, implementation and management; including the ability to formulate, analyse and complete due diligence on business cases and project proposals.
Please refer to the Job Description Form attached for full position details.
Eligibility / Other Conditions
To be eligible for a permanent appointment to the Western Australian public sector you must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency status in Australia. To be eligible for a fixed term or a casual appointment you must have documentary evidence of your entitlement to live and work in Australia for the period of the contract and this is required as part of your application.
A current and valid Western Australian C (car class driver’s licence or equivalent is required (if not currently held, must be acquired to commencement at applicants expense).
An acceptable National Police Certificate (police clearance) is required (if not currently held, must be acquired prior to commencement at applicant’s expense).
This position is located in Exmouth.
Please note, any successful candidate, including current employees of the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development, will be offered employment subject to the award and agreement conditions that apply to the advertised role as outlined in the attached JDF. By accepting an offer of appointment, the successful applicant accepts the conditions and entitlements under the specified award and agreement.
Further Job Related Information
To discuss this role or for specific enquiries please contact Simmone van Buerle, Director on (08) 9941 7000 (during business hours).
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit:
- A current comprehensive CV, including details of two (2) referees; and
- A covering letter/statement that demonstrates how your skills, knowledge and experience relate to the following Work Related Requirements, as detailed on the Job Description Form and in the context of the job specific details in this advertisement in no more than four (4) pages:
- Work Related Requirement 1 - Demonstrated substantial experience in policy, program and strategy development, implementation and management, including the ability to formulate, analyse and complete due diligence on business and industry project proposals by applying business principles, financial analysis and assessment of risk.
- Work Related Requirement 3 - Challenge for innovation: Highly-developed analytical and problems solving skills, including a demonstrated ability to develop innovative solutions to complex problems in order to meet organisational objectives;
- Work Related Requirement 4 -Think strategically: Well developed research and analytical skills with the ability to think creatively and laterally to provide high quality, future focussed results.
- Work Related Requirement 5 - Delivery in a changing environment: Demonstrated ability to allocate and leverage resources to deliver desired business outcomes and persist on achieving objectives in difficult and changing circumstances.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The values and business needs of our Department may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Please note that, should you be shortlisted, your ability to meet the other work related requirements will be assessed through future stages of the recruitment process.
Applicants are required to apply on line by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button at the top/bottom of the screen. Applicants must have a current, valid email address in order to apply online and this email address will be used for communication with applicants. Further information is available in the attached Applicant Information Kit.
Equity and Diversity
DPIRD is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workforce and is an equal opportunity employer. We value and strongly encourage people with disabilities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, young people, women and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our agency.
The Department also promotes staff health and wellbeing, through the provision of flexible work provisions and a wellbeing and support program.
If you are having trouble downloading the attachments or lodging your application online, please contact (08) 6552 1943 (during business hours) and quote the Reference number.
Please ensure you have plenty of time to submit your application to allow for unanticipated problems, as late and proforma applications will not be accepted. (Please note: Online lodgement is system generated. Any submissions on or after 11:45pm will not be accepted)
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has a four day breach claim period. For more information, please see the Public Sector Commission Website