Graduate Officer Building and Energy
PLEASE NOTE: THE CLOSING DATE FOR THIS VACANCY HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 4:00PM MONDAY, 16 SEPTEMBER 2019 (WST).
CURRENT APPLICANTS DO NOT NEED TO REAPPLY.
The Interagency Graduate Program
Do your part for the community
Make your mark on industry
Be a future leader in economic development
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS) and the Department of Jobs, Tourism, Science and Innovation (JTSI) have come together to create an award-winning interagency graduate program.
About the program
Our 18-month graduate program aims to build the skills, experience and networks required for a successful career in the public sector. A customised rotational plan exposes graduates to a range of opportunities both internal and external to the department. The graduates support team, includes a sponsor, a mentor, a coordinator and fellow graduate buddies who will guide participants through the experience alongside a comprehensive learning and development program. The program concludes with the opportunity for a permanent position. Initial employment is on a fixed term contract with provision for permanent appointment following successful completion of the first twelve months of the program.
To learn more about the Interagency Graduate Program, visit our website.
About the position
The Building and Energy Division is looking for a recent graduate with a bachelor degree in civil engineering with a focus in structural engineering, or an approved equivalent bachelor degree (degree to be completed in the current or preceding calendar year).
We are seeking an enthusiastic and dynamic graduate who will have the opportunity to practically apply their university education into issues relevant to the WA building industry. Providing a variety of perspectives into design and construction, you will have the opportunity to follow through from office based review of construction drawings and documented issues, to sites under construction. The graduate will work in a team along with the Principal Building Engineer, Senior Technical Officer, Building Surveyors and Building Inspectors to provide technical evidence based assistance into regulation within the WA building industry.
As a member of the audit team it is also expected that you would contribute to the ongoing development and adjustment of audit procedures and processes to ensure the Building Commissioners function are undertaken effectively.
This position is located in Cannington however, you may be required to work at other sites.
What are we looking for in a graduate?
- A willingness to take on feedback and develop expertise to deliver work outcomes
- The ability to research, analyse and interpret information
- A team player who builds positive relationships
- An effective communicator who can use a variety of mediums for diverse audiences
- An individual who consistently demonstrates the department’s six values, which are: Respectful, Responsive, Forward- Thinking, Transparent, Fair and Ethical
The Graduate Program is an equity and diversity employment initiative. Therefore we are actively looking for recent university graduates from any of the following diversity groups to be a part of our January 2020 intake:
- people 24 years and under
- people with disability
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
Interested? Here is how to apply.
To be considered for this position you must submit an application that includes the following:
- A copy of your academic record and evidence of your bachelor degree in civil engineering with a focus in structural engineering, or an approved equivalent bachelor degree (completed in the current or preceding year)
- Your CV including the names and contact details of two referees
- A cover letter (maximum two - three pages) which tells us about you:
- Why do you want to work for us? What will you bring to the role?
- How do our departmental values align with your personal values’? (Provide us with some examples that demonstrate this). The Department’s values are listed above in ‘What are we looking for in a graduate?’
- A project you are proud of, the role you played and the result (this may include a university project, work experience or volunteer work)
Please note: you must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply for this program.
The following requirements will form part of this selection process:
- National Police Clearance
- Pre-employment medical
- Pre-employment Conflict of Interest declaration
- A current Motor Vehicle Drivers Licence is also a requirement for this position
Once your application is complete use the ‘Apply Now’ button below, complete the online application form and attach the required documentation listed above.
Further into the recruitment process all of the requirements and capabilities included in the attached Job Description Form will be assessed.
For tips on how to put together your application, or details about the process, visit our Interagency Graduate Program webpage.
For more information about the Graduate Program, the application process or documents in an alternate format, please contact Natalie Garland, Graduate Program Coordinator on (08) 9222 3866.
To learn more about the Department and what we have to offer, please visit our website.
Suitable applicants may be considered for other similar vacancies within the next twelve months.
DMIRS is committed to building a workplace culture that values diversity and inclusion. We actively promote the employment of Aboriginal Australians, people with disability, youth and other diversity groups. People with disability will be provided with reasonable adjustments in our recruitment processes and in the workplace.
The Graduate Program is an equity and diversity employment initiative, within the Department’s Diversity and Inclusion Plan. This diversity employment program looks to increase workforce representation of people 24 years of age and under, people with disability and Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people at the department.
CLOSING DATE: 4.00 pm on Monday, 16 September 2019 (WST)
Your application submission must be complete by the closing time, applications that are in progress or submitted after this time will not be accepted. It is your responsibility to ensure your application is submitted on time.
- Job Description Form
You can view and print these PDF attachments by downloading Adobe Reader.