CLOSING DATE: Friday 10 May 2019 at 11:45PM WST
Quarantine Inspector (Pool)
Who we are
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development’s (DPIRD) purpose is to create enduring prosperity for all Western Australians. Our department ensures that primary industries and regions are key contributors to the Government’s agenda for economic growth and diversification, job creation, strong communities and better places.
We work collaboratively across government, industry and community to advance three goals: Protect, Grow, Innovate. For more information about the Department, please visit our website.
About the Position
We are seeking to establish a pool of suitable Quarantine Inspectors who will be part of a dedicated team with an ongoing commitment in maintaining Western Australia’s enviable pest and disease free status. In this frontline role, you will be required to identify potential biosecurity risks at the Western Australia/South Australia (WA/SA) state border.
You will have the opportunity to interact with a wide range of travellers and commercial transport operators; on average more than 80,000 vehicles pass through the WA/SA Road Checkpoint each year. All vehicles require inspection and the occupants questioned to ensure any biosecurity risk is identified.
Key responsibilities include undertaking inspections and associated duties in accordance with the application and enforcement of the Biosecurity and Agriculture Management Act 2007 and actively participating and contributing to the day to day operations of the checkpoint.
Successful applicants will have demonstrated experience in providing advice, interpreting and applying Acts, regulations, instructions, guidelines, policies and/or procedures. We are also looking for applicants who have demonstrated workplace communication skills.
About the Location
Working at the Eucla Checkpoint can be physical at times; you are regularly working outside exposed to the elements including sun, wind and rain.
In considering your application and suitability, please note the following -
- Employees reside in the isolated and small settlement at Eucla, located 11km west of the WA/SA Road Checkpoint.
- Eucla township is located 1400kms from Perth.
- From Eucla, it is 5hrs to Ceduna, 9hrs to Kalgoorlie, 10hrs to Esperance and 15hrs to Perth.
- Internet can be obtained by employees at their own cost. Only Telstra network is available.
- Eucla has no hospital – there is a nurse’s post only. Medical emergencies require the Royal Flying Doctor Service.
- The nearest shopping centre is Ceduna in SA and is 500km’s away.
- There is no bus, trains or planes into or out of Eucla. The only way in and out of town is by private vehicles.
- Eucla is the only West Australian location on the Eyre highway with a direct view of the Great Australian Bight. For more information about Eucla visit Tourism Western Australia
The pool will be valid for a period of twelve (12) months following finalisation of the process and may be used to fill permanent opportunities that may arise in this period. Please note, being appointed to the pool does not guarantee you placement to a position.
Please refer to the Job Description Form attached for full position details.
Eligibility / Other Conditions
Subject to appointment the successful applicant will be required to provide a valid satisfactory National Police Clearance.
Psychometric testing may also be used as part of this recruitment process.
Further Job Related Information
Please contact Rachael Penning, Senior Quarantine Inspector on (08) 9039 3215 or 0475 836 315.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit:
- A current comprehensive CV, including details of two (2) referees
- A covering letter/statement that demonstrates how your skills, knowledge and experience relate to the Work Related Requirements, as detailed on the Job Description Form and in the context of the job specific details in this advertisement / in no more than four (4) pages
Applicants are required to apply on line by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button at the top/bottom of the screen. Applicants must have a current, valid email address in order to apply online and this email address will be used for communication with applicants. Further information is available in the attached Applicant Information Kit.
If you are having trouble downloading the attachments or lodging your application online, please contact (08) 6552 1943 (during business hours) and quote the Reference number.
Please ensure you have plenty of time to submit your application to allow for unanticipated problems, as late and proforma applications will not be accepted. (Please note: Online lodgement is system generated. Any submissions on or after 11:45pm will not be accepted)
The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development has a four day breach claim period. For more information, please see the Public Sector Commission Website