Please note the classification pay rate has now been updated
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA561889
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2019 with possible extension
Sevenoaks Senior College (SC) are seeking a motivated, committed and enthusiastic Follow the Dream Program Coordinator, a person who is passionate about assisting students to reach their full potential.
The Follow the Dream program is a voluntary out-of-school education program targeted at aspirational and high achieving Aboriginal students in Years 7 to 12 in Western Australia (WA).
The program aims to support indigenous students to excel academically, complete secondary schooling and to achieve other tertiary placements such as Vocational Education and Training (VET), an apprenticeship or traineeship or employment of their choice.
The ideal candidate will be able to establish and maintain relationships with a number of stakeholders as well as indigenous students, families and staff.
The role of the Program Coordinator involves: identifying students for participation and managing the selection process; managing each student case, (including monitoring their school progress and general wellbeing); developing individual learning plans with each student; providing subject advice and career guidance and information; arranging extra-curricular enrichment activities; managing the learning centre; selecting and supporting the tutors; establishing and working with the local Steering Committee; and engaging parents, teachers, school staff, and other key stakeholders.
The successful applicant will be required to show an understanding of the program intent, requirements and an appreciation of issues regarding Aboriginal education, students and cultural perspectives. Sevenoaks SC has a large Aboriginal population with students involved in a number of educational programs.
Sevenoaks SC presents a fresh new approach to senior schooling in Western Australia. The College caters for up to 500 Year 11 and Year 12 students from across the metropolitan area. The College is located near the Cannington train station. It is the local school for students from Cannington and Maddington areas. Our vision is to empower our students through their engagement in education and training so that they fulfil their own educational, career and social expectations and participate positively in Australian society. We are a very dynamic and diverse educational community, with students and their teachers – together with their parents, community members and industry partners – all working collaboratively within a team environment.
Sevenoaks SC offers a suite of programs involving a comprehensive range of West Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) courses, VET and Trade Training Centre certificates and International Centre. Sevenoaks also has a comprehensive Follow the Dream program for our Aboriginal students.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning practices, particularly relating to Aboriginal students and their communities.
- Extensive skills and experience in developing, implementing and evaluating learning programs and strategies at a school, region or system level.
- Capacity to manage physical and financial resources.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership that builds capacity, deals effectively with change and generates innovative solutions related to achieving educational outcomes.
- Highly developed written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to conduct research, prepare reports and establish effective working relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders to achieve planned outcomes.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Sevenoaks Senior College can be found by visiting sevenoaks.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Kathleen Partridge, Principal, by telephoning 0402 970 805 or emailing Kathleen.Partridge@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
You are required to attach a personal resume and covering letter outlining your skills and experiences in relation to the position. It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 31 January 2019
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.