The difference is you…
Our employees tell us that the most important part of their job and the thing they enjoy the most is making a difference to the local community. If you are looking for a rewarding career that offers you the opportunity to ‘be the difference’, join us as a Prison Officer.
When you join the Department of Justice, you become part of a people-focussed organisation working hard to make our community a safer place to live. We offer many different employment opportunities in locations throughout Western Australia. You will have a chance to make a real difference to our local communities and to the lives of the people you work with.
About the role
We are recruiting Prison Officers for various locations throughout the State. Specific vacancies are not advertised and there is no closing date for applications. We assess candidates on a regular basis throughout the year and will contact candidates as and when opportunities arise.
As a Prison Officer no two days are the same and you will find yourself being a role model and mentor or a teacher and trainer. You will play a vital part in the rehabilitation of prisoners while ensuring the safety of the community.
You will use your common sense and life experience to handle challenging situations professionally. You will be fair and consistent in the way you treat people and will balance your authority with understanding to build positive and strong relationships with your colleagues and prisoners.
You will enjoy flexible working conditions, generous leave entitlements and a competitive salary. You will have the opportunity to achieve a nationally recognised qualification and will be provided with on-going training and support to set you up for success. Being a Prison Officer is not just a job, it is an opportunity to build a long term and secure career within the Department of Justice.
To be successful in the role you will demonstrate;
- The ability to think clearly, act calmly and use your initiative under pressure
- Great communication skills to ensure you build positive relationships with a diverse prisoner population
- A common sense approach to solving problems and the ability to adapt to a wide range of challenging situations
- Excellent team working skills to work with colleagues and prisoners to achieve personal and professional goals
- A desire to help people work through difficult life experiences by being respectful and showing compassion
- An awareness and understanding of Aboriginal people and their culture
- Australian citizenship or permanent residency, or New Zealand citizenship
- Current and unrestricted manual C-Class drivers licence
- HLTAID003 Provide First Aid qualification with nine months validity remaining at the time of appointment
You will also be required to complete all relevant pre-employment medical, fitness, psychological and other assessments, as well as attaining clearance through the Department’s criminal history and integrity assessment process.
How to apply
- Read through the attached documents
Click on the ‘apply for job’ button at the bottom of the screen
Complete the on-line application questions (please allow 15-20 minutes to complete)
Attach a current and comprehensive CV
- Candidate information pack
- Job Description Form
- Fitness Standards
Open Pool Recruitment
This is an open pool recruitment which means there is no closing date for applications. Specific positions are not advertised and there is no closing date. We assess candidates on an on-going basis throughout the year and contact candidates as and when opportunities arise.
Equity and Diversity
People from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. The Department upholds a working environment that is free from discrimination in accordance with equal opportunity legislation. To help achieve this, Section 51 of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 applies to this process.
The attached documents, including the candidate information pack, job description form, and fitness standards, will provide you with a lot of useful information. If you have any other queries, please contact the Recruitment Team on (08) 9264 9505.