Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS876522
Join our Essential Services Team as an Education Assistant – Special Needs!
We currently have the following positions available:
For Permanent tenure only
- 4x - permanent full-time positions
All positions will commence Term 2, 2024
Special Needs Education Assistants at Bob Hawke College work collaboratively to implement evidence-based practices that facilitate meaningful and purposeful learning by promoting students' participation in classroom lessons, building student independence, and safeguarding meaningful peer connection and relationships. They work alongside teachers to plan universally designed learning opportunities and provide feedback to teachers regarding accessibility for students with learning differences. They encourage peer support and collaborative learning to support connection and belonging.
Successful applicants shoul assist students to access and navigate digital technologies. They may be asked to deliver explicit direct instruction programs for individual students or small groups. They may also be asked to assist with the implementation of other specialised programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy, physiotherapy, and medical plans. As required, they should provide feedback on learning tasks, personalised plans, and therapy programs. They will ideally participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of personalised learning goals.
All staff at Bob Hawke College should have the following attributes: They will ideally be able to demonstrate care; be curious about learning and about learners; be invested in the College and the community; have a sense of humour; and be reflective of themselves and their practice. They will ideally have a proactive, positive approach to their role and be able to work well autonomously as well as part of a team. Knowledge of, and experience in trauma informed practice and supporting the emotional regulation needs of neurodiverse students is highly desirable.
The Education Assistant - Special Needs supports effective communication between the teacher and student. In collaboration with the teacher, they provide feedback about student progress with parents and caregivers. Other tasks required may include assembling resources and administrative documents, managing classroom resources or the storerooms by maintaining and updating inventory lists, monitoring stock levels and requirements, and submitting requisitions to the teacher for approval. They should ensure the safe and hygienic storage and handling of foodstuffs and food preparation utensils.
The College has emerged as a central hub of the Subiaco East Redevelopment precinct with its innovative design and shared facilities. Bob Hawke College will deliver academic excellence in a learning environment that sets high standards in quality care for students. We aim to create experiences where students learn both about the world around them, and themselves. We seek to develop local, national, and international partnerships, creating meaningful relationships to improve learning opportunities for our students. We are part of the fabric of Subiaco, with a commitment to excellence and equity.
The College is part of the exciting transformation of the area around Subiaco Oval which will become a new education, leisure, and residential destination close to Perth's Central Business District.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Bob Hawke College can be found by visiting bobhawkecollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online or by downloading the relevant attachment below.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Nicole Cooper, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning 0419 041 449 or emailing Nicole.Cooper@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of one (1) page outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment.
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter.
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 05 March 2024
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.