Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS878665
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024 with possible extension (12 months) and/or permanency.
About the Role
The School Attendance Officer assists the school community with processes that ensure non-attending and alienated students participate, and are engaged, in educational programs. They collaborate with school staff, parents, regional education office and the community to identify student absenteeism and truancy. The successful applicant will make regular family contact, including phone calls and home visits and establishes community links to monitor and engage identified students and their families.
The successful applicant will assist with the development and implementation of a range of preventative strategies at the school level to engage and support non-attending and alienated students. They will maintain student-specific case notes, briefing notes and relevant attendance information for reporting to the school and regional administration on a regular basis.
About the School
Settled in 1866, Roebourne is WA's oldest surviving town north of Geraldton. In fact, it is the oldest settlement between Geraldton and Darwin and has an estimated population of 1,200 people. Roebourne is located near the Pilbara coast, approximately 1500 km north of Perth and 40 kilometres east of Karratha. The school caters to students from Kindergarten to Year 12, with approximately 98% of the students being Aboriginal.
Most of our students come from three main language groups - the Ngarluma people who are the traditional owners of the land, the Yindjibarndi people and the Banyjima people. The school is supported by the community, Aboriginal Corporations and other agencies. This includes mining, government departments and NGO's. The Roebourne community has a strong arts base and this has influenced the educative community in developing strategic plans that are authentic, hands on and designed to engage with all students.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Knowledge of issues related to education within a local community.
- Sound interpersonal skills with ability to work in a team environment and with individuals or small groups of students experiencing attendance-related difficulties.
- Sound research and problem solving skills including the ability to identify appropriate solutions.
- Sound verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Roebourne District High School can be found by visiting Schools Online
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Suzanne Evans, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Roebourne, by telephoning (08) 9182 3300 or emailing Suzanne.Evans@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 1 March 2024
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.