Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE878586
This is a permanent full-time position commencing in March 2024
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- 11 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- Housing may be available pending availability and subject to conditions
The Role and our Branch
Albany Residential College is seeking to recruit a highly motivated and enthusiastic Aboriginal Boarding Supervisor.
We encourage all applicants with diverse professional experiences to apply.
Aboriginal Boarding Supervisors support and reinforce appropriate values and behaviours in students, particularly Aboriginal students whilst fulfilling an appropriate duty of care in the creation of a positive, happy and culturally safe boarding environment and service for students and staff. The successful applicant will respect and embrace diversity within the student population whilst providing, and supervising, opportunities that enrich students’ personal and social development, of our Aboriginal students.
The successful applicant will plan and implement a wide range of suitable activities for all students to enjoy, ensuring students receive appropriate care to maintain health and wellbeing, whilst undertaking regular, positive communication and liaison with colleagues, parents/guardians, school staff, other professionals and members of the local community in support of the development and wellbeing of students, particularly Aboriginal students.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Your written application will be assessed against the following Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated skills and understanding of appropriate supervision and care of students in a residential setting.
- Demonstrated capability to initiate, plan, document and safely lead a wide range of leisure activities for secondary students.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, with the ability to write plans, pastoral notes and reports; and interact positively with students and parents including those with diverse multicultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated organisational skills and ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity to successfully meet and maintain the required eligibility and training requirements of this position.
For a full outline of the role responsibilities and selection criteria, please refer to the JDF.
It is recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
All inquiries are welcomed
Please contact Lauren Franklin, Manager Albany Residential College by telephoning (08) 9842 1007 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow all instructions. It is recommended you have relevant documents completed and ready to attach with your online application. Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications must be received prior to the closing date and time.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the selection criteria listed above, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please phone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please phone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Being of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background is considered essential for this position under section 50(d) of the Western Australian Equal Opportunity Act
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter.
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check if required
- Work according to rostered hours which may include nights, weekends and public holidays;
- Obtain (prior to first rostered shift working with students) and maintain a current:
- First Aid Certificate – Provide CPR (HLTAID001)
- First Aid Certificate – Provide First Aid (HLTAID003)
- Within six months of commencement of employment obtain and maintain a current:
- LR Class Driver’s Licence and a Passenger Transport Driver (PTD) authorisation;
- Aquatic Rescue for Group III Pool Award*; and
- Surf Rescue Certificate*;
- obtain a Certificate IV in Community Services – Student Residential Care (CHC42021) within six months of commencement of employment.
* Dependent on operational requirements as determined by College Manager.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 23 February 2024.
Lodgement is system generated. Any submissions at, or after, 4:30pm will not be accepted.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our division for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.