Please note as of Friday, 1 December at 8:25am an amendment has been made to the application instructions
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA865959
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024
Are you looking for an ocean outback adventure, whilst working in a highly supportive and collaborative learning environment?
Teachers and school administrators employed at Hedland Senior High School in 2024 are eligible to receive an Attraction and Retention Incentive of $10,000 (pa, gross – to be adjusted pro rata for FTE and tenure). Eligible staff will receive a percentage of this payment on commencement at the school, with the remainder paid at the end of the school year. Staff must remain employed in the location until the end of the school year to be eligible to receive the second payment.
The ARI payment is in addition to other incentives that may apply in this school.
Hedland Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dynamic and passionate Student Services Program Coordinator (PC) to join their high-quality regional school.
Are you an innovative thinker looking for the next career move? Are you inspired to lead your team to support the social and emotional well-being and academic success of young people in a collaborative, and exceptionally supportive working environment? Are you ready for a once in a lifetime adventure in the Pilbara?
Discover the magic of Western Australia’s North-West, where the red dirt truly gets under your skin. Each weekend you could be off on a new adventure, with some of WA’s most iconic attractions right on your doorstep. Explore WA’s rugged coastline, where you’ll find plenty of fishing, crabbing and even whale watching. Or why not head inland and explore half billion-year-old gorges in Karijini? It’s practically down the road.
Living in Hedland means being part of a vibrant community, where you can excel in your career while enjoying a diverse, multicultural town, with ancient Aboriginal heritage from our, Kariyarra people, a thriving arts and culture scene, stunning landscapes, and a down-to-earth lifestyle.
You’ll also get to work in a school which prides itself in supporting its staff to provide students with a supportive, inclusive environment where they can thrive. Our school is like its own community, a positive working environment where your colleagues are more like your friends.
Exciting opportunity to teach as a part of our Senior Leadership in Western Australia’s beautiful Pilbara region.
Hedland SHS is currently seeking a highly experienced, dynamic, innovative, and proactive PC – Student Support to join our Senior Leadership team.
The PC – Student Support works collaboratively with the Deputy Principal Student Support to lead whole school student wellbeing initiatives whilst overseeing the operational management of our Student Support Centre. The PC - Student Support leads individual and whole school case management and works collaboratively with the onsite allied support team, external agencies and wider school staff and community to promote the wellbeing of each student. They lead the school in maintaining a positive learning environment where each student’s physical, social, intellectual, and emotional development is fostered, and our students thrive.
In collaboration with the Deputy Principal and Student Support and Aboriginal Education teams, you will review behaviour support processes and lead the implementation of a streamlined framework that is applied effectively and consistently by the whole school. You will work with Student Support Leaders to ensure they are working proactively, promoting a sense of belonging for all students, working restoratively to solve conflict, and engaging students, caregivers and staff in participative decision-making resulting in improved community relationships and whole school regular attendance.
You will support your Student Support Leaders to coordinate transition programs, organise activities, rewards and functions. You will provide counsel to students, parent/carers and staff in relation to academic, behavioural, attendance, social and emotional concerns. You will, assist your Leaders to develop, implement, and monitor programs (both in-school and extra-curricular) to maximise student participation. You will ensure your team have the expertise to lead the development and implementation of documented plans to support student engagement and behaviour through all school settings.
The Ideal applicant
In addition to the above abilities, the successful applicant will ideally be skilled in the following areas:
- a high level of cultural awareness, and proven ability to engage positively with parents, carers, and the wider community
- exceptional leadership and organisational skills, including the ability to manage time effectively, prioritise, keep accurate records
- the ability to analyse a wide range of data to inform future practice resulting in year-on-year improvement for our students.
- a strong understanding of restorative practices, classroom management strategies and the positive behaviour in school’s model
- a broad understanding of a range of learning difficulties and support strategies to maximise learning outcomes for all students
- a commitment to excellence in teaching, willingness to engage in regular self-reflection and professional learning designed to take your career to the next level.
‘Together We Achieve’ - We plan for every student to be a successful learner!
Hedland SHS, located in the Pilbara, is an Independent Public-School catering for students from Year 7 to Year 12. Our school prides itself on the staff's commitment to a system of positive behaviour supports which focus on care, courtesy, respect, and responsibility. These values underpin our philosophy at Hedland SHS. All staff strive to maintain a school culture which encourages a high standard of behaviour & performance. We take an approach that is inclusive, explicit and supports all students and staff to achieve success.
The school has worked hard to build a positive reputation for the excellent educational opportunities it offers students, the exceptional support for staff development and professional growth, and for its high standards of achievement.
For more information about Port Hedland visit Destination – Port Hedland. HSHS Facebook
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- Attractive Country Teaching Program Allowance of $10,210 per year
- Attraction and Retention Incentive of $10,000 in 2024
- Locality allowance of $3,976 per year
- 11% employer contributions to superannuation
- Free relocation to Hedland
- Subsidised GROH accommodation and furniture
- 12weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- More than20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- Air conditioning subsidy
- Travel concessions/ Return Flights to Perth or another Regional centre Return Flights to Perth or another Regional centre
- Optical aids subsidy
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Hedland Senior High School can be found by visiting www.hedlandshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Janine Keall, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9158 1900 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- meet the Department of Education Teacher Qualifications and Registration requirements;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 11 December 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.