Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS862980
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2024
Spearwood Alternative School is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic Education Assistant that inspires learners with joy and curiosity.
The successful applicant will be supporting a newly graduated teacher in a class of Kindergarten and Pre-primary students. The ideal applicant will support respectful and positive interactions between children and model this with working partnership with teachers, supporting a general and genuine culture of connectedness and possibilities.
The Early Years students enjoy a program carried out both indoors and out including natural bush settings; based on play, inquiry and intentional provocations.
The successful applicant will join a team of dedicated educators who are passionate about their contribution to learning; and who support each other in creating the best opportunities for each member of this community to become the best they can be.
Strong communication, interpersonal and intrapersonal skills to develop and promote the school’s values, ethos, and priorities are highly desirable. Co-creating and promoting an inclusive and safe environment that caters for different students' learning abilities and social and emotional needs is important.
The culture of Spearwood Alternative School is solidly built and supported by Restorative Practices. The Rock and Water program is embedded. We have a community of goodhearted and intelligent people who want to contribute to a vibrant and healthy society through the impact that we have and the difference that we make encouraging students with kind hearts, fierce minds and brave spirits.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- sound oral and written communication skills, including the ability to interact with students, parents and teaching professionals.
- sound interpersonal skills including the ability to work as part of a team.
- sound organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective educational programs to students.
- ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Spearwood Alternative School can be found by visiting spearwoodalternative.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Denise Stone, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9414 2000 or emailing Denise.Stone@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 4 December 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.